HFCLEANUP - Putting Back In

Squeeto

The HFCLEANUP reducer fileset is fairly mature now (especially for W2k) but I thought it might be an idea to see if some should be put back in. In order to make this work 'right out of the box' for most novices, we may need to restore some of the functions\progs.

In a recent post, I mentioned that I did remove some of the files in TommyP's set. It was suggested that I should pass this on. I think that this is a good idea.

I'll start, with the idea that others may follow or complain. I removed (ie put back in, hehe):

HardSupport_PCMCIA.* (laptop required it)

HardSupport_Battery (I wanted this)

Driver_Smartcard (laptop required it)

Applications_Paint.* (I had a unique problem with install with these reduced, but it could just as well go)

Service_ComPlus.* (like to see this go but my wireless complains about a useless notification it misses)

ZZZ_CAT (I replaced DTC and was playing with sysocmgr.exe as well. Some may be in here. I'll look further into this.)

I also removed the two s3legacy lines from Driver_DisplayAdaptersOldStyle.rdv

Did the unique problem that you had with paint have anything to do with your start menu? :)

@tommyp: could/should his first three items be merged into one reducer with 'laptop' in the filename? The first two are definitely laptop keepers, the third isn't all of the time.

Actually, I kind of prefer to leave them all lumped together as one zip file. HFCLEANUP is hardcore with functionality by design. I don't plan on separating each reducer into low/mid/high performance "buckets." Maintenance on multiple filesets would be a bear. It's up to the end user to figure out what his/her system needs (maybe they need to be softcore instead) ;). As a case in point, with the HFCLEANUP.ZIP file, I do NOT use all the reducers myself. There are some things I need, but others may not need. Nevertheless, the option is there to use a particular reducer if they choose.

Users are encouraged to test out NLITE to see what they need. It has lots of interactive menus that tell what's good/bad. The HFCLEANUP files are loosely based off NLITE. Once you figure out what you need using NLITE, just use the corresponding HFCLEANUP files. I don't plan on doing a fancy writeup telling what is good/bad to reduce. 9 times out of 10, users don't read anything anyway.

@TommyP... I don't think that's what TAiN meant... :)

TAiN...

That's impossible, I'm afraid, because the file types are different. These are the "laptop" files involved:

Driver_Smartcard.rdv

HardSupport_Battery.rem

HardSupport_PCMCIA.rdv

HardSupport_PCMCIA.rin

At best, you can merge Driver_Smartcard.rdv with HardSupport_PCMCIA.rdv.

Personally, I'm favor of the opposite. I'd for example like for "ZZZ_ENGLISH_ONLY" to be split up since it contains fonts too. When an updated fileset arrives and I don't have much time, I'd keep the font remover but ditch the keyboard layout remover.

• 4 months later...

I think that Skype users will be more abundant as days go by so I thought that this is probably an important item to include in this list.

If you have a USB VOIP phone or RJ11 adapter you will need to remove the reduction:

HardSupport_USBAudioSupport.rdv