Nlite 1.0 review on Softpedia, Nlite get 5 Stars !

albator

well.....he said we r from the dark side.....

and i just love the pics u posted......

Oops, misunderstood a bit.

You completely misunderstood what he was saying. He's actually defending the choices to omit those "bad" things (legacy support and help file). What part of the quote "but it's like asking a manual for a hammer..." didn't you understand. He's praising this software by attacking the very things that people who have never used the software would instantly complain about.

Whenever someone immediately uses the word "BUT" after stating a negative - what they are really trying to say is the negative isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Whenever i'll need english lessons, i'll call you. :angel

I were only suggesting in an interogative form that this part of the review is entirely pointless, full of what we french frogs are naming "langue de bois".

:P

And my mother tells me "langue de bois" is "cant"/"waffle" in english. Seems weird but she's an english teacher so she's probably right.

Better to say nothing, and drive the reader to this great forum, instead of crying about the lack of help file ! (maybe you & the author don't know, but this absence is a feature to get more feedbacks here !)

Documenting nlite is an easy thing but documenting Windows installation is a real pain. And moreover there are some things we know today, we didn't know last year. It's evolving too fast to have a big documentation.

Well, time to get back to a serious topic !
And, back to the topic, as far as I know 9x versions are not supported because their installation is 99% different.

Hopefully not ! Ex: SysOC were there...

/me tremble de tout ses membres et craint de devoir perdre une main : "Noooooon !"

++

As far as I remember Win9x uses a few big cab files whereas in NT5 each file is compressed individually (except for driver.cab of course). I'll try to find a 9x installation CD and see how it looks.

(btw, editing a single bit in a cab files forces you to recompress the whole cab which is really time consuming so it is probably harder to experiment)

Hello everybody, this is my first post here and probably won't be the last. Let's clarify some things, now.

0. What I am going to write here are my personal opinions as a regular cumputer user, and not as a Softnews employee.

1. I am the "reviewer" of nlite.

2. I work full time for Softpedia and it took me more than two hours to check out the program and write the review; I had a licensed Windows CD at my disposal and I have created a custom iso image, but I can't spend an entire day reviewing one software, excepting huge things like Maya or 3D Max, maybe.

3. I know the review was done a bit "on the run", but the idea is to make the reader interested, not to give him everything for granted; drive tests with cars can be good, but until you drive the car for yourself, they're only little guiding lines - the same with the softepdia reviews

4. About the ease of use being rated 4 stars - the program is great to use for people who know what they're doing, but the lack of any Help system made me take away that star.

5. "OMG" The reviews are done having in mind especially beginners, so the lack of help file even for a Notepad application, is a drawback. If you put your hands on a software that you never seen before and it's not from your field of work, and it doesn't have any Help, I am sure you will agree that you may have a little problem.

6. I am sure that those of you who like to criticize without thinking more will be happy to review 3 softwares per day in average and do a better job than I do, I have no problem with that. Start your own site, climb up where Softpedia is now, I wish you good luck with this!

7. As I said before, maybe some beginners will wonder "why not my 98SE", don't think that this is a program for experts. The idea for any application is to keep a good balance between its power and ease of use.

8. "Langue de bois" is "wooden tongue" and means useless chatter or words thrown out just to do something, without any real purpose. I hope I won't get there, so I will end this now.

If I forgot to answer something. let me know and I will try to clear things out. Try to put yourselves in my place a little and I am sure that you will agree that I did my best for this review. I don't say it's great, but it doesn't suck that much either! :blushing: