What C# book?

I have a little programming expierence but for the sake of this question, let's say I have no programming experience. Anyhow, I would like to learn C# but I can't decide on which book(s) I need to pick up to get a good foot hold. Any help would be super awesome. Thanks in advance.

HI, I suggest u start with that book for ERIC GUNNERSON the book is called "A programmer's introduction to C#". If u don't have strong background about Object oriented programming, it's strongly recommended to read about it before u start C#.

good luck

i thumbed through many different books before i chose the one i liked.

the book that i picked up is called "beginning visual c#" published by Wrox. it cost $40 and is ~900 pages. i'm not going to list the 10 authors, lol.

isbn: 0-7645-4382-2

the important thing is to just go to your local bookstore and grab a few books off the shelf and take a look at them. do not just go buy a book online based on random reviews. everyone learns differently and has a different knowledge base.

I don't want to steer you away from C# or anything, but you may want to seriously consider focusing on something cross platform. And I don't mean cross platform in the sense of writing one app for many operating systems. What I mean is whatever you learn could be applied somewhat to multiple operating systems. For me personally, my poor brain can only hold so much at once and learning something as involved as programming takes a lot of time and dedication.

Now where we are probably similar is that I also had a bit of programming experience in the past. Nothing extraordinary, but I've programmed here and there since the early 1980's. Well I decided that I needed to get back into it because I had some things I wanted to do immediately. The word immediately is key here. I jumped into Visual Basic under VS2005 since I felt I could most easily adapt to that given my prior experience. Well now making the jump to using Eclipse and programming in Java is like learning how to perform heart surgury. I'll get there, but I really have a lot to learn just in the basics that experienced programmers take for granted.

You may not picture yourself ever using anything but Windows, but hey you never know. I've been trying to become proficient with Linux lately and that means I wouldn't mind being able to do a little bit of coding for that environment as well. Anyhow that's just my 2 cents.

i completely agree and was actually going to say something similar. the -only- reason i'm learning c# is because i have a very specific need for it.

the thing i really hate about c# is that it's impossible to protect your source. even with the most sophisticated encryption protecting your exe, your assemblies will still have to be loaded into memory sometime. every single .net application on the planet can be completely disassembled with ease :(

c++ will always be king.

@crahak

You're 100% correct but I'm talking about a start and if you have little expierience as Blyenth does or me, video tutorial is the best start, then you get detailed info from books, at least that works for me, I just started working with C#, I like it better than Visual Basic. C++ is for veterans and way too complicated for a start.

@RogueSpear, I respect you :D

I was thinking about cross-platform language. I would like to create programs to could run on xbox for example, I got one modded in front of me with famous XBMC, I will look more into that proggy becease it fascinates me, It just runs itself, doesn't need any library dlls/frameworks and such. And what language is that? C++ or Python or something else?

I don't want to steer you away from C# or anything
but maybe you should consider a more widely regarded language such as C/C++. C# was created by M$, and currently not used much elsewhere.

I personally stay far away from anything .NET, Java, or similar.