[Info] Aero Vs Non Aero

3aces

ok right my bad.. :D

but i did also get aero working on my inspiron 5150 laptop which had a 5200go 64mb card in there... it toook alot of messin around end results were good

Edited by POW!!

most mobolilty card are not working because of the lack of memory or other missing requirements

Windows Aero requires:

DirectX 9 class graphics processor that:

Supports a WDDM Driver.

Supports Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware.

Supports 32 bits per pixel.

Adequate graphics memory.

64 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor less than 1,310,720 pixels

128 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions from 1,310,720 to 2,304,000 pixels

256 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions higher than 2,304,000 pixels

On my laptop, ATi Radeon X700 Mobility

Dx9 compa

ATi published a WDDM driver

Pixel Shader is OK afaik

32 bits color-depth

128MB of video memory

So laptops can run Aero. I've not tested myself but I know someone with the same config whohas Vista beta2 installed, so I'll ask him. ;)

most mobolilty card are not working because of the lack of memory or other missing requirements

Windows Aero requires:

DirectX 9 class graphics processor that:

Supports a WDDM Driver.

Supports Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware.

Supports 32 bits per pixel.

Adequate graphics memory.

64 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor less than 1,310,720 pixels

128 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions from 1,310,720 to 2,304,000 pixels

256 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions higher than 2,304,000 pixels

On my laptop, ATi Radeon X700 Mobility

Dx9 compa

ATi published a WDDM driver

Pixel Shader is OK afaik

32 bits color-depth

128MB of video memory

So laptops can run Aero. I've not tested myself but I know someone with the same config whohas Vista beta2 installed, so I'll ask him. ;)

cheers... to be fair some laptops have small resultions, i feel aero wouldn't do them justice!!

• 2 weeks later...

For all you people griping about the "Bloat"....

Hi ~ has everyone forgotten that they are testing a beta release?

Let me say that word again.... Beta! Isn't it a fun word? ;)

You have debug code. You have unfinished, un-refactored code. The final product is a minimum of seven months away. Quit griping about what a memory hog it is atm, it's giving the OS an undeserved bad rap. Seriously! :(

From MSFN's current front page news...

Microsoft this week plans another Vista beta 2 drop that is promised to hog fewer system resources. At Microsoft's Velocity 2006 worldwide partner conference in Boston Tuesday, a Microsoft executive said the updated beta will be available to Technet subscribers "in a few days."

"Vista in its beta form is pretty taxing on the system. It's slow and a little non-responsive," said Mike Sievert, corporate vice president of Windows client marketing at Microsoft. "That piece of software is now about nine weeks old and that may not sound like a lot but at this stage, that's an old version in software terms." "You'll see a huge difference [in performance]," Sievert said of the interim release, noting Microsoft is recommending 512 Megabytes of memory when testing the new code.

Fair enough, all? :D

... i can't believe i just stuck up for microsoft...

My Intel Extreme Graphics card doesn't support DX9 so it reverted back to Vista Basic but I must say it kicks a**! Only anoyances are the new positions of the shut down button and stuff on the start menu. So I submitted feedback about that. Also, I suggested adding the Luna and Royale theme back in Vista RC1 because some people might not want Vista for the graphics but the performance...

is there a way to do that urself