Restoring dual boot menu

neelyl

Okay, so I'm not so bright on this one.

Anyway, I had a dual boot system (98 on C: & XP on D:) which was working fine. The 98 system was over 2 years old and was getting buggy so I did a reinstall. I saved all the root files on C: thinking that I would get the dual boot menu back but no such luck.

Is it possible to restore the dual boot menu,or do I have to reinstall both 98 and XP.

Thanks,

Neely

• 2 weeks later...

put in ur windows xp cd and restart and boot from the cd....if it does not boot from the cd automaticly check the settings in your bios and change it so that it does (there is a boot sequence option and CD should be first)....then it should come up with the screen asking you if you would like to enter setup....

hope this helps

go to ht*p://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?releaseid=33291&area=top&ordinal=35 and download the xp boot disk file....once downloaded double click on the file to run and it will prompt u install it on to 6 floppy disks

u then need to reboot ur computer and boot the floppys from dos make sure that ur cmos is set so that the first boot device is from floppy disk insert the disk from 1 to 6 and it will take u to the xp installation guide choose repair xp

I'm glad you detailed that all 6 floppies would be used to boot.

I made them and never used them and was wondering why so many.

I have experienced times when I was glad to have the floppies with W2k, --cd would not be recognized in bios.

Its too late to wish you had made them then.

next time -- you should know that there is a file caled boot.ini that contain all the 'stuff' especially for dual boot systems. always keep a backup on that file - call it boot.bck or something. Anyway - if you had a backup of that file -after re-isntalling w98 - you could have just copied that file and been done.

LS

you should know that there is a file caled boot.ini that contain all the 'stuff' especially for dual boot systems. always keep a backup on that file - call it boot.bck or something. Anyway - if you had a backup of that file -after re-isntalling w98 - you could have just copied that file and been done[/quote:c6495823c7]

An remember the boot ini file is on the first Os you install. I learned this the hard way..make sure you dont..its a b***h:spaced

-drew