Partitioning in RIS ?

Say you want to install a computer, and that computer has a harddrive of 50GB.

Now, you want RIS to create a partition on only 10GB (in other words, don't use the entire harddrive)

I've been playing around with the .sif file, and here is what I got:

[RemoteInstall]

Repartition=Yes

UseWholeDisk=No

PartitionSize=10000000

This looks correct to me. That it will format a 10GB disk, and not use the harddrives 50GB.

But it doesn't work. Any idea guys ???

/Preben

This has been brought up several times now and I've yet to see a definitive answer or solution. I wish I could help you out, but I'm also looking an explanation. There has to be someone out there that does this on their workstations.

I've been searching around, and I've seen people using bart pe. But how ?

Do they RIS a bartPE image, or just use partitioning features of BartPE ?

How do I implement those features ??

//Preben :)

I've never had luck partitioning in RIS either - I first boot to WinPE in RIS, have a script that runs diskpart.exe to create the drive and format it, then kick off the Windows setup from there. I think that's the most reliable option, but someone else may have some suggestions.

Hi Guys,

I havent automated the partiton size but for each install i have two sif files. ones is set to

[RemoteInstall]

Repartition=Yes

UseWholeDisk=yes

to basically partition the size of the drive..

my other sif file has this option set.

[RemoteInstall]

Repartition=no

UseWholeDisk=yes

this brings up the XP partition option page so you can set whatever size of partition you want then the install will continue unattended.

So basically i have one install that partitons the whole drive automatically & the second install prompts for a partition to be set which i can alter per machine. yes its a small manual imput but its right at the start of the install & i can vary parttion asizes so its one worth having.

Edited by chiners_68

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The "Repartition = No" thing works great here, but I got another problem.

My company wants me to install application, profiles etc. on a 2nd partition (normally D:\).

When I create a 2nd partition at the beginning of the windows xp setup process I'll get the E:\ letter for that drive (seems logical cause there's a CD/DVD drive in that PC).

My question is: How can I force windows xp setup to use the D:\ letter for the 2nd partition and the E:\ letter for the CD/DVD drive?

Thanks in advance for any help!

So far

Sebastian

You can use a diskpart script that will switch the drive letters around.

Kind of like this:

SEL DISK 0
SEL PART 2
REMOVE
SEL VOL 0
ASSIGN LETTER E
SEL DISK 0
SEL PART 2
ASSIGN LETTER D
RESCAN
EXIT

What this does is select the second partition on drive 0, removes the drive letter (E in this case), selects the CDROM, assigns E: to that, then goes back and assigns D: to the second partition on drive 0.

Partitioning in RIS is not available. All you can do it turn off the autopartitioning and manually do it.