Installing RAID directly (on WinXP SP1 CD) ?

seewen

I followed the excellent guide to get a "WinXP SP1 + Hotfixes + drivers + app" CD-ROM. (thanks a lot for it :) )

I made one, and it worked perfectly on my "old" test computer.

But when I wanted to test the CD on my "new" computer (with Intel 865PE chipset + RAID 0 ), Windows didn't found the appropiate RAID drivers (they were in $OEM$\$1\drivers\iaa35\ & in WinNT.fis under "OemPnPDriversPath" ).

So I looked on :

-INTEL website : http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa_.../unattended.htm

- Microsoft website : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...;EN-US;q288344&

- and here too : http://www.spc.org.nc/it/TechHead/unattend..._third_part.htm

Then I tried to add thos INTEL RAID drivers to the Windows setup loading.

-----------

1) I removed " $OEM$\$1\drivers\iaa35" and it's path in WinNT.fis.

2) I created a new folder $OEM$\Textmode

But here I'am really not sure of the folder path I used... :rolleyes:

2a) I copied Intel IAA 3.5 drivers files (IaStor.cat, IaStor.inf, IaStor.sys, TxtSetup.oem) in this folder

3) I added this in WinNT.fis:

[MassStorageDrivers]"Intel® 82801ER SATA RAID Controller" = OEM

"CD-ROM IDE (ATAPI 1.2)/Contr“leur IDE PCI" = "RETAIL"

[OEMBootFiles]

iaStor.inf

iaStor.sys

iaStor.cat

Txtsetup.oem

( "CD-ROM IDE (ATAPI 1.2)/Contr“leur IDE PCI" is the french version of ""IDE CD-ROM (ATAPI 1.2)/PCI IDE Controller"" )

4) I used this Txtsetup.oem (it's the original file from "3 1/2 bootdisk" of INTEL) :

[Disks]disk1 = "Intel Application Accelerator driver", iaStor.sys, \

[Defaults]

scsi = iaStor

[scsi]

iaStor = "Intel® 82801ER SATA RAID Controller"

;-------------------------------------------

[Files.scsi.iaStor]

driver = disk1, iaStor.sys, iaStor

inf    = disk1, iaStor.inf

catalog = disk1, iaStor.cat

;-------------------------------------------

[Config.iaStor]

value = "", tag, REG_DWORD, 1b

value = "", ErrorControl, REG_DWORD, 1

value = "", Group, REG_SZ, "SCSI miniport"

value = "", Start, REG_DWORD, 0

value = "", Type, REG_DWORD, 1

;-------------------------------------------------------

; Uncomment appropriate ID string by removing semi-colon

;-------------------------------------------------------

[HardwareIds.scsi.iaStor]

id = "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DF&CC_0104","iaStor"

------------

But now, when I try to install WinXP, just after the drivers finish to load (text setup ), I got an error msg saying :

the file Txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error (18) at the line 1742 in d:\xpsp1\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c

Hit a key to continue

Could someone please help me to add those INTEL drivers correctly ? :D

SeeWen

P.S.

I tried to install those RAID drivers with "F6" + "3 1/2 diskette driver".

Windows loads the drivers like usually, then you can format the partitions like usually, then windows copy some files on the harddisk like usually.

But after that (just before rebooting ), Windows says "Cannot find DRIVER.XXX. veryfy that the CD-ROM is in the drive".

I don't understand why Windows is looking on the CD-ROM, and not on the "3 1/2 diskette"

P.S.

I tried to install those RAID drivers with "F6" + "3 1/2 diskette driver".

Windows loads the drivers like usually, then you can format the partitions like usually, then windows copy some files on the harddisk like usually.

But after that (just before rebooting ), Windows says "Cannot find DRIVER.XXX. veryfy that the CD-ROM is in the drive".

I don't understand why Windows is looking on the CD-ROM, and not on the "3 1/2 diskette"

i have this problem as well. i have not found a fix.

I found a solution. (the one suggested by INTEL doesn't worked for me nor other people. It seems that it's due to the fact that recents Intel drivers are UNSIGNED.... ).

I will use my motherboard for example (ABIT IS7-G (865 PE) ), followed by a more general explaination.

------

1) First of all, you need the drivers from manufacturer (the one that you normally use with F6 during install ).

For Intel motherboard, simply follow the link from my first post, follow the instruction to create a 3 1/2 disk boot driver.

2) Copy all the drivers files in the folder $1/drivers/YOURDRIVERNAME.

(in INTEL 865 case, you must copy "IaStor.cat", "IaStor.inf", "IaStor.sys" in the folder $1/drivers/iaa35/. You can omit TxtSetup.oem, but DON'T DELETE IT, you'll need some info from it later ).

3) Open the file "txtsetup.sif" (in /I386/ folder ).

a) look for [sourceDisksFiles]. And add this line

[sourceDisksFiles]iaStor.sys = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4

You must copy the DRIVERNAME.SYS, followed by "= 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4" .

ATTENTION : 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4 is the number used for RAID (at least onboard RAID ). For other components, it's maybe something else. The easiest is to look in txtsetup.sif (under [sCSI] ) for components like the one you want to use (SCSI card, PCI card, etc.. ), then look for the name of the driver of the component (it's in front of the description ), then go back to [sourceDisksFiles] zone, and use the same number they are using..

:) look for [sCSI]. And add

[sCSI]iaStor = "Intel® 82801ER SATA RAID Controller"

You must write : (drivername) = "description of you driver"

(drivername) is the filename of all the files from your driver (WITHOUT the .sys or .inf, etc.. )

"description of your driver" is found in the txtsetup.OEM files, in the [sCSI] section of it.

(txtsetup.OEM is on the driver-disk provided by your motherboard/raid adapter manufacturer )

c) look for [sCSI.Load]. And add

iaStor = iaStor.sys,4

You must write : (drivername) = DRIVERNAME.SYS,4

d) look for [HardwareIdsDatabase]. And add

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DF&CC_0104 = "iaStor"

Don't forget the " " between (drivername).

You must write : driver_ID = "(drivername)"

driver_ID is supplied in your txtsetup.OEM files, under [HardwareIds.scsi.drivername]

e) You can save the file, and close it.

4)Copy the file DRIVERNAME.SYS (IaStor.sys, for example ), in /I386/ dir.

5) Don't forget to add "drivers/YOURDRIVERNAME" (drivers/iaa35 , for example ), in the Winnt.sif file, in the "OemPnPDriversPath" .For example :

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=Yes

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

Repartition=No

UnattendSwitch="no"

WaitForReboot="No"

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

OemPnPDriversPath="drivers\iaa35;drivers\IntelINFv5.0.1.1015;driverscom940_0042;drivers\RealTek_AC97_wdm_a345\wdm;Leadtek_winfast_30625"

More info in the guide http://www.MSFN.org/unattended/xp/drivers.htm

Now your driver will be installed at startup automatically.

5) Don't forget to add "drivers/YOURDRIVERNAME" (drivers/iaa35 , for example ), in the Winnt.sif file, in the "OemPnPDriversPath" .For example :

[unattended]    UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=Yes

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

Repartition=No

UnattendSwitch="no"

WaitForReboot="No"

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

OemPnPDriversPath="drivers\iaa35;drivers\IntelINFv5.0.1.1015;driverscom940_0042;drivers\RealTek_AC97_wdm_a345\wdm;Leadtek_winfast_30625"

Don't forget to add "drivers/YOURDRIVERNAME"?????

at http://www.MSFN.org/unattended/xp/drivers.htm it says :

As you can see, its pointing to the folder where the .inf files are stored, not directly to the .inf file itself. Save winnt.sif and you're all done! You should be able to do the same for any other driver using the explained methods above
pointing to the folder

am i missing something ?

Its correct, he means naming the folder so you know what drivers they are. He's not using a path directly to any INF files either, only the folder containing them, so all's OK :)

• 2 weeks later...

So to summarize in my particular case:

1) Add the following two lines to my winnt.sif file:

[scsi]

FastTrak133_xp = "WinXP Promise SBFastTrak133 Lite Controller", FastTrak

2) Add the following two lines to my winnt.sif file:

[unattended]

OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\Promise Raid\;

3) Add the following two files to the directory ~ c:\xpcd\$OEM$\$1\drivers\Promise Raid\fasttrak.inf;

FASTTRAK SYS Microsoft WindowsXP miniport driver

FASTTRAK INF Microsoft Windows miniport setup file

Correction on above:

[unattended]

OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\Promise Raid\fasttrak.inf;"

3) Add the following two files to the directory ~ c:\xpcd\$OEM$\$1\drivers\Promise Raid\

• 2 weeks later...
Correction on above:

[unattended]

OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\Promise Raid\fasttrak.inf;"

3) Add the following two files to the directory ~ c:\xpcd\$OEM$\$1\drivers\Promise Raid\

Well to be more exact you wil need the cat file also and any others that the driver needs . put them into \driver\promise raid or whatever you want to name it.

Also though you will need to add jsut the fasttrack.sys to your i386 folder.

If you follow the directions above he did give the exact correct directions.

Right now i have added almost all the raid drivers I can find to my txtsetup.sif and so far the ones that i can test here work. This includes High point on shuttle, epox, and an old pIII abit board, Proimise on a newer aopen nforce motherboard with promise sata150 controler. I have an older gigabyte motherboard with an older promise ide raid controler which i have added but have not tested it yet. If anybody needs my files let me know. There are many more that I have added to me setup that still need testing by others.

• 1 month later...

If you have the IT8212 RAID controller at the Sil3112A controller added, I'd love to have the preconfigured txtsetup.sif file. I ran into problems when using my unattended cd that setup for some reason would not read the floppy disk with the drivers on it when it tried to install the GUI drivers. It read it fine for the text mode drivers (and saw the drives attached to the RAID controller), but bombed out when it came to the copying files part.

In my experience it is possible to do the completely unattended install of Intel ICH5R raid drivers.

The step I had to do is copy the drivers into 2 locations on your XP SP1 CD.

1) \$OEM$\TEXTMODE

2) \I386\$OEM$

Why the second directory is necessary is a mystery. But the advantage is that no hacking of txtsetup.sif is necessary, which can be a maintenance headache.

Regards

James

• 2 weeks later...