XPize: before or after nLite?

FrankC

First of all, I'd like to say a big well done and thanks to all who've contributed these great programs (and also helpful comments on the forums). In particular I'd like to acknowledge nuhi. :hello:

I first used nLite about a year ago I suppose - it could have been longer, I can't really remember. Anyway, I really liked it; it was just the application I was looking for. I just hate the idea of having a whole bunch of filler there that I'd never dream of using I guess. I regularly reformat, so having a slim, unattended install CD is great for me. :thumbup

Back then I couldn't get my device drivers to integrate for some reason - I followed all the instructions but it still didn't work. This didn't bother me too much though as I'd slipstreamed SP2 and also integrated all the hotfixes. I removed hundreds of MB of garbage as well. In short, I was very happy with the result. :)

I now see that nLite's up to RC8 so I'm thinking I'll have another go at it. Hopefully I can get my drivers to work this time (nVidia chipset and GFX card, sound [M-Audio], monitor [NEC], mouse [Logitech]). I'll be behind a Linksys WRT54GC broadband router. What I want to know is: should I integrate XPize or run it after installing XP? If I integrate it, will I effectively be removing all the crappy icons it replaces from my install CD? If so, this is what I'll do. However, I haven't used XPize before and I see that it contains a number of 'extras'. I don't really know what these are, and as I'm in the business of slimming down my install CD, I don't want to be adding extras I don't want and will never use. Does this make sense?

So basically: if I integrate XPize, will I have an option of removing these (potentially unwanted) extras using nLite before I create my .iso?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Keep up all the good work everyone.

FrankC.

You can download XPize Guide at the homepage for more info. But basically you have 3 options:

1) Normal install once windows is installed (The one I recommend)

2) Silent install along with Windows installation (using the /S switch)

3) Integration through nLite (done in the hotfix integration page)

Thanks very XPero. As option 1) is the one that you recommend, this is what I'll do. However, I'd still like to know: If I integrate XPize as a hotfix using nLite, will I have an option later in the nLite process of removing any components or 'extras' of XPize that I don't want? That is, does nLite allow me to remove some XPize components?

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks very XPero. As option 1) is the one that you recommend, this is what I'll do. However, I'd still like to know: If I integrate XPize as a hotfix using nLite, will I have an option later in the nLite process of removing any components or 'extras' of XPize that I don't want? That is, does nLite allow me to remove some XPize components?

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You still havent downloaded the XPize guide :P Extras are not including if you integrate XPize through nLite ;)

Well i can help you in some way over here.

If you integrate Xpize with nLite , you will lose the oppurtunity of uninstalling Xpize later on. Also you will not have the Backup of the Original Windows Files i.e you will only have your Xpized files.

If you set Xpize to install using the Svpack method along with the switches , you would have a nice silent install of Xpize along with the backups.

The best method , acc. to me , is to install xpize manually after installing windows so that you can choose each and every file you need , you have the uninstallation feature , you have the reloader etc. etc.

Well i can help you in some way over here.

If you integrate Xpize with nLite , you will lose the oppurtunity of uninstalling Xpize later on. Also you will not have the Backup of the Original Windows Files i.e you will only have your Xpized files.

The best method , acc. to me , is to install xpize manually after installing windows so that you can choose each and every file you need , you have the uninstallation feature , you have the reloader etc. etc.

Thanks very much alsiladka (& XPero). I think I've got all the info I need now. I'll just install it manually.

Cheers to all involved. :thumbup

FrankC.

• 2 weeks later...