[Question] How can I deploy an hd image in less steps?

98SExpert

Ok, I did a backup image with acronis true image and I want to cut some steps in deploying it.

So here are the steps I think I have to do to deploy it:

Format HD - Install WinXP - Install acronis - Deploy Image

I want to:

Format HD - Deploy Image

Any suggestion on how I can do that?

Install XP consumes so much time... :}

Nortons ghost will do it in quickly you make a ghost when you are happy with how it is going burn it to cd/dvd or another hard drive. Insert the cd / boot floppy (best of buring the image to cd as many people dont have floppy disks anymore). On average 10 mininutes ish depending on the size of your drive.

Hope that helps

Acronis Startup Recovery Manager

Acronis' unique Startup Recovery Manager allows you to restore your system without creating bootable rescue media. Just press the F11 button during the PC start up and you'll be able to restore your system in minutes.

This is for version 9 hope it helps

Regards

Colin Bate

I'm the resident Ghost officianado (or something like that) and I'm here to tell you, there's nothing on this planet or any other that I'm aware of any simpler than Norton's Ghost 2003. (originally written by Ghostsoft, Inc. in the mid 90's)

I've been using it for years for myself and to back up my customer's HD's when they are here in my shop.

A Ghost image on a bootable DVD makes one heck of a great System Restore Disk.

Better and faster than anything you'll ever get from a computer manufacturer. :thumbup

I just boot up with my Ghost boot floppy or CD and do a Partition to Image file and let Ghost burn it directly to a DVD.

Ghost 2003 will write to the DVD with NO special drivers loaded. It works only in DOS so bypasses XP entirely. (and it reads an NTFS partition with NO problems)

Before writing, it will ask you if you want the boot disk put on the DVD as a boot sector.

Just say yes and the job is as good as done.

If you ever need to restore that image, like to a replacement HD, just boot up with the DVD and Ghost will run. Just tell Ghost what you want it to do and the Game's Afoot!

I make my own Ghost DVD's several times a week, so I keep everything up to date.

Ghost (the entire package) can be purchased over the internet for less than $10.

All you really need is the Ghost.exe file out of that package to do what I do. I never install it on the HD.

The windows GUI is just a waste of time and HD space.

As a side line, do a Ghost backup followed by a Ghost restore to have all the files re-written to the HD in perfect sequential order.....no spaces between files and NO fragmentation.

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?

Andromeda43 B)

i agree with all the ghost 2003 comments. it's fast and easy.

i imaged a linux hdd from my windows box with ghost. windows couldn't read the drive and wanted to format it but i wouldn't let. i just started ghost, told it to image the linux hard drive{i had slaved it and placed it in my windows box}, and ghost did the rest.

an amazing piece of software.