Access your music library online

Nerwin

Hey guys how can you access your music and videos from a remote place.

I dont want to put like 10 gigs of music/video on to my new laptop so what i'm asking is how to listen to your music files from a remote area (EX, Work, School, ETC) how can I do that? for free that is.

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 months later...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/drives/73de/

i saw that a while ago, as a potential for sharing music with a friend of mine, as his family has a 300GB HDD almost filled with music [im not joking].

if you read about that, it gives you the option to be able to remotely access the files on the internet and whatnot.

its the only thing i know of that can do the job.

• 4 months later...

If you want streaming you can try the excellent open-source VLC. You'll have to play with port forwarding and things like that, but it has an impressive array of streaming features.

Otherwise, you could always just set up an FTP server and download your tracks that way. Clunky, but it gets the job done.

• 3 weeks later...

well i found a way to do this perfectly. add all of ur music to a winamp playlist and set it up for streaming. then install a module which lets you control what song u want to play thru an html file. now ppl can connect to ur winamp string and ur html file and select waht to play. works great for me, but the qulaity sucks b/c my upload speed sucks...