New 2k project

GeoShell might be a viable alternative - allows skinning of taskbar and such as well. I'm working on a project to get XP's theming engine into Win2k, without much luck. I've managed to corrupt 3 virtual machines so far. luckily, I keep some form of a worklog as to what I've changed...

A heavily customized GeoShell might be the answer to all our problems. ;)

NT4 explorer crashes way to mutch, i did actualy got it stable once, than was forced an update (and even though it didn't contain any of the swaped files) id made the system highly unstable, i once thught about the eplorer from windows NT clone ReactOS, but thats still in verry early beta and for some reasons seams quite deed to me... at least i havn't seen a single update for ages..

The ROS explorer looks extreemly nice. I agree with you about it being too early in beta to be stable.

I am stil looking though. I am still leaning toward the nt3.51 look but I think it will loose to much functionality.

The shell I mentioned before looks promising and its free.

how about NeX?

http://www.codedump.org

http://www.codedump.org/gallery/albums/use...0Alpha%2023.JPG

that is a recontinue project from bluebox

btw,

i have develop a taskbar replacement and shutdown dialog replacement for X2K project, the taskbar relpacement still useless for now, but when i get to learn more about Windows API programming that would be better (and stable).

WinTask (developed using Delphi 7 on XP Machines, build for 800x600 res, 1024x768 is later until it stable and usefull)

wintask7gl.th.jpg

WinShutDown (finished but still need some improvement for the label things)

winshutdown6hk.jpg

Edited by Dels

Geo looks nice does it run on 2k?
nope, it have problem for memory overwhelmed and i don't want to pick it as alternative, better to use SharpE
NeX looks the best of all, so far.

yup, it give use a KDE/FluxBox/XFCE interface without having memory bloater cause it based on BlueBox (*Box shell have good reputation on memory use)

The one I posted wont work with 2k for some reason

Just another quick question. How much functionality is lost if IE and core are gone?

With games, there seems to rarely be any problem. It's mostly non-game applications that have problems if any. More likely with firewall software. The MSI installer of Sygate Personal Firewall will refuse to install if it detects that Internet Explorer don't exist. Likely the same with Zone Alarm. The solution is to use SoftPerfect Personal Firewall or Kerio Personal Firewall 4.1.3 or earlier.

Also, warning, stay away from Comodo Personal Firewall. The installer installs it, but will give you errors on launch when Internet Explorer don't exist. Comodo Personal Firewall appears to 100 percent require Internet Explorer!!

Even Sygate didn't error on launch after installing it when Internet Explorer don't exist, as long as you can get past the MSI installer check.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

hey dirt

check out your \WINNT\system32\ folder and you would find a file named progman.exe that is something like winnt 3.51/win3.1x shell, the old progman but better (cause it could run on nt platform) just try a bit and you will found that really annoying lol :D

hey dirt

check out your \WINNT\system32\ folder and you would find a file named progman.exe that is something like winnt 3.51/win3.1x shell, the old progman but better (cause it could run on nt platform) just try a bit and you will found that really annoying lol :D

I did, and it is LOL. Time to find a modern shell.