Scientists 'to clone mammoth'

FthrJACK

Specimens of the animal discovered last year have arrived at Kinki University's Gifu Science and Technology Centre in western Japan.

"The bone marrow, skin and muscle specimens, frozen in nitrogen liquid... look fine. We first have to confirm whether these are really of a mammoth," said the centre's president, Akira Iritani.

The DNA may be damaged and not good enough for cloning, as the remains are believed to be 200,000-300,000 years old, he said.

The scientists are planning to use elephant eggs in the cloning process. Vektor Research Centre for Virology and Biotechnology of Russia has been working on the project alongside the Japanese scientists.

Last year, the Vladivostok News in Russia reported that scientists believed they could resurrect extinct animals - such as the mammoth and the woolly rhinoceros - to create a prehistoric safari park in northern Siberia.

The region's limited infrastructure was seen as one of the obstacles to establishing such a sanctuary.

Read more at BBC news

Vladivostok News

"The search area was narrowed down to several hundred square meters of tundra and the aim was to recover samples bearing viable DNA from the Siberian tiger, steppe lions, giant deer, ancient foxes and the ancestors of the Siberian horse, as well as mammoths and woolly rhinos."

WOW! i wanna go when its open :)

There's a reason wooly mammoths are extinct: BECAUSE GOD DECIDED THEY ARE TOO DANGEROUS!

Wooly mammoths are able to shoot laser beams out of their eyes and nose and they breathe fire and their skin is impenetrable and they can liquefy your brain using only ESP. They probably give you halitosis too.

I only hope that the scientists die in horrible "accidents" before they can resurrect this apocalyptic beast.

Just my thoughts...

There's a reason wooly mammoths are extinct: BECAUSE GOD DECIDED THEY ARE TOO DANGEROUS!

Wooly mammoths are able to shoot laser beams out of their eyes and nose and they breathe fire and their skin is impenetrable and they can liquefy your brain using only ESP.  They probably give you halitosis too.

I only hope that the scientists die in horrible "accidents" before they can resurrect this apocalyptic beast.

Just my thoughts.

:D:) :rofl:

Where's you find that? :rolleyes:

Wooly mammoths are able to shoot laser beams out of their eyes and nose and they breathe fire and their skin is impenetrable and they can liquefy your brain using only ESP.  They probably give you halitosis too.

Just my thoughts.

:D:) :rofl:

Where's you find that? :rolleyes:

It's just a hunch. I bet I'm right though!

no, if any of you have ever seen a mammoth, or any other animal for that matter that has been dug out of the perma frost in siberia you will know that they are perfectly preserved.

young mammoths are often found and look like they died yesterday. ill try find some piccies...

*back!

here we go, heres a good example, nicknamed "dima" this baby mammoth was found int he 70's i think:

dimab.jpg

no its definately not a dinosaur is it.

Mammoth wool:

volosb.jpg

more info on some of the frozen animals found in the region here:

http://land.sfo.ru/eng/main.htm

Dima(BabyMammoth).jpg

heres another after being preserved, you can still see some fur left on his back legs.

if you look and imagine how he would look with his trunk only being as long as the nasal bones in his skull...

what animal would it remind you of? a pig? same family of mammals i think, but shows some genetic link regardless.