[Question] Raid JBOD

jbod was a bad decision... gives no increase in performance and increases the risk of losing data.

Well i decided to try raid0 again and adding my single drive for backups and stuff into the raid controller as JBOD was the only way i could find around having to open my case up and pull the plug every time i install xp so it'll install everything on the stripe and not try to put boot files on the single drive. I dunno why windows has to be gay like that :/ Thats the only reason for the JBOD.

well i guess ur right about that, xp can be very confusing with many hdds and partitions. raid 0 and a backip drive is an excellent idea. but you are going to have to find a way to move your current data. that means either buying a new hdd if u have the money and want more space. or you could transer all of your data to another computer if that a possiblity, you can do this over a home network. or if there isnt too much data, burn them all to dvds.

jbod was a bad decision... gives no increase in performance and increases the risk of losing data.

adding my single drive for backups and stuff into the raid controller as JBOD

Wait...so there was only one drive in the JBOD "array"? You probably won't lose anything then since it probably just wrote to it as a normal drive.

For future reference when you attach a single drive to a RAID controller you usually set it up as a "single drive stripe array"...in RAID0 mode. :)

adding my single drive for backups and stuff into the raid controller as JBOD

Wait...so there was only one drive in the JBOD "array"? You probably won't lose anything then since it probably just wrote to it as a normal drive.

For future reference when you attach a single drive to a RAID controller you usually set it up as a "single drive stripe array"...in RAID0 mode. :)

Yes it's the only drive in JBOD, It didnt do anything to it when i set it up. I was asked to clear data but i chose no and my partitions were still there. Just for curiositys sake i moved the drive to a sata port that wasnt on the raid and it was detected in the bios and windows, everything was there still. I'm assuming as long as i be extra careful in the raid bios not to clear the data everything will be ok, I have backups in case though.

I tried like you said yesterday to set it up as a single stripe array in raid0 but it kept asking for another drive to add to it, Spanning (JBOD) was the only one that'd let me add the single drive along with the 2 i have already in stripe. Guess thats just weirdness with nvidia raid but i have no idea, I'm still a n00b when it comes to raid.

1 drive in jbod, lol.

If you only have one drive you want to hookup and your only open drive connector is on a RAID controller then you have to configure it with some sort of "RAID" mode. Most controllers have the option of a single drive stripe array but his doesn't so he had to choose JBOD. In other words, he had no chioce... :D