Filter Or Non-Filter

03GrandAmGT

Hi All, :hello:

Thinking of putting filters on all my boxes as we have had construction going on in the area and will be for about a year. Anybody try these wire mesh computer filters? Seems to me they wouldn't filter alot of the minute dust particles compared to say a paper filter type. They just don't look tight in the mesh for anything good. I have noticed the temps rising on all the desktops, and I just cleaned them a week ago and found a good layer of dust already inside.

I've checked a few different places, but the filters mesh just looks too loose. Anybody ever do this with what's available on the market, wire mesh? If so what were the results?

http://www.xoxide.com/fanfilter.html

http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Computer-Cases/Fan-Filters/

http://www.directron.com/filterguards.html

Just seems to me that you would want low restriction on air flow but high on filtration. I guess maybe I'm comparing the wire mesh to the same as what you would find over your stove as a grease trap.

Been thinking about trying out one of my shop vac bags by cutting it and placing over the fan just to see what happens. The type I use for the shop vac are close to a HEPA certification for drywall dust. And you can actually breathe through them.

Ideas, Opinions??

Thanks

jd

i have filters and i love them, having 3 dogs my house gets really bad...

you can try out different filters, not sure whats the best. but u dont want to much air restriction or u will get bad cooling.

i have filters and i love them, having 3 dogs my house gets really bad...

you can try out different filters, not sure whats the best. but u dont want to much air restriction or u will get bad cooling.

Hey Ripken,

What type do you have? If they are the wire mesh type how good are they for the minute dust particles? I saw a setup on the net late last night using car airfilters with what looked to be a 120mm fan sucking air thru the filter. Was connected to the back of the case using what looked like a dryer vent line. Our dog is an outside guy, he don't like the indoors much.

Thanks

jd

I have a loose wire mesh filter and it really doesnt do much of anything as far as reducing dust buildup inside the case. I have worked with foam filters before, and they do actually stop some dust from getting in because they required cleaning every now and then.

I like your idea about the shop vac bag. It would be great if there were fan filters that stopped dust that effectively.

You can bolt two or more fans together in series, increasing the air pressure to compensate for the increased air restriction of the filter.

Thanks LLXX,

Ya kinda figured that one. I'm working on a few ideas right now as far as fan, flow distribution, and filters. I'am sure other people have worked on these theories in the past, as there really is a lot out there to look at. Trying to workout a nice laminar flow inside the case, without turbulance. :lol:

jd

The continuing quest.

Well I found a neat little lawn mower filter which fit's a 80mm fan nice with about 1/8" extra on the sides. Question I have now is what fan do I use to put about 5lbs+ of positive air pressure into the case, and still keep it quiet. There are so many fans out there 80mm wise that to read thru all of them is going to be exhuastive.

Thanks

jd

PS: I tried the filter with the 80mm fan I had laying around and found very little dust on the mirror I used to check for filtration. You can also breath thru this filter very easily and it costs just under $5.00 US. :P:P

Question I have now is what fan do I use to put about 5lbs+ of positive air pressure into the case, and still keep it quiet.
5 psi?? :blink: You'll never get anywhere near that with an ordinary fan... much less a quiet one. It's very difficult to have such a high pressure and a high flow rate at the same time. Edited by LLXX

• 4 weeks later...
Question I have now is what fan do I use to put about 5lbs+ of positive air pressure into the case, and still keep it quiet.
5 psi?? :blink: You'll never get anywhere near that with an ordinary fan... much less a quiet one. It's very difficult to have such a high pressure and a high flow rate at the same time.

OK OOOOPPPS. Yeah should have thought that one through. Anyway, I am posting this as it has been over 2 weeks now and my temps haven't raised due to a dirty box inside. I pulled the box apart the other day as I was doing my HTPC at the time and everything inside this desktop box that was the original subject was clean. I will be monitoring the temps and as soon they start to raise I will open the box to find how much dirt is on the filters. My original temps were in the mid to high 30C normal and low 50C when dirty within a few days. Now they are running at 40-42C constant. I would still like to find some nice quiet high output fans though. The fans I run on this box are just some leftover stuff from another project and don't put out too much air. It appears though as putting filters on the box makes these fans work harder and noisier. But, hey the inside of the box is clean and the temps are stable, even when editing and encoding a movie. So are there any high output quiet fans out there without costing me my house???

Thanks All!!!!!!

jd

High-output and low-noise can be considered opposites... a very powerful fan must be loud, while a nearly silent fan will not produce as much pressure since, besides the fan bearings and motor, the majority of noise is caused by air rushing through the fan.

BTW the most powerful fans I've seen are 20W 120mm units, rotating at 6000rpm.