Locked out of Windows XP after install

WindDancer

After successfully completing the installation (or so XP tells me), I was prompted to enter the names of the people who would be using the system. At no point was I asked to specify a domain, enter an Admin password, or enter the passwords for the users I created. However, now I am unable to log into the XP - actually, I've never successfully logged in. It appears almost as if the system has set a default admin/user password.

I have tried to repair the installation, but was never prompted to remove/recreate the users. I am unable to access any of the safe mode options, as all require user login to access.

I have tried to use Admin and Administrator as the admin password.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can remove the users, or access the system?

or maybe a file I am able to delete, so it will again ask me to enter a new password?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:winsad

what version of xp are u trying to install??

Is that a clean install or a an update??........if its a clean install just do it again dont repair previous installation

also dont choose to do dynamic update!!

good luck

yes, could you post more details up? -

what version of XP it is, pro or home, coroporate or not, devils0wn or purchase, what CPU you have, speed, amount of RAM etc.

also XP asks for the admin info a while before the users i think.. if i remember correctly, it also shows you the default computer name it has generated, which you can change.

Try this though:-

try to login as "Administrator" and dont fill anything in for the password, then hit ok. if that fails, wait for the login screen to appear, then hold CTRL+ALT+DEL for about 15 seconds or longer, the login screen should disapear and you are then faced with an old style Windows NT 4.0 / Windows 2000 login screen, select Administrator from the list if it isnt selected by default and try login, if that fails try with the other accounts, using nothing for the password.. just pick name and click "OK"

let us know how you get on :)

• 6 years later...

Have you tried using either ERD Commander or Sala's Password Renew on the Ultimate Boot CD?

I would recommend downloading the Ultimate Boot CD from http://www.ubcd4win.com. Using the program you download, compile the .ISO and then burn it to a CD. Reboot your computer to the CD and run Password Renew.

When the program pops up, browse to your Windows directory (usually C:\Windows). Under "Select a Task," click on "Renew existing user password." Select the user to change a password for, leave the other fields blank, and hit "Install" underneath "Select a action." Quit the program and reboot to Windows XP.

The user account you changed the password for should give you access to your computer.

I was prompted to enter the names of the people who would be using the system. At no point was I asked to specify a domain, enter an Admin password, or enter the passwords for the users I created.

Can you remember which names you used ? If you didn't set passwords, the password should be blank.

If XP HOME, restart in safe mode, use "administrator" with no password, it should work if you used an unmodified CD to install. It is possible, if you have a localized version, that the username is translated (I think for instance in french, its "administrateur" instead).