[how do i] install apps at T-13 / via svcpack.inf

oioldman

Hello,

I've noticed that people are able to install some apps via svcpack.inf along with hotfixes.

How do people do this?

Is it a case of add program file to folder, open svcpack.inf add filename and switches and hope your app installs - can see that taking a long time for all apps.................

OR

is there more to it than that.

I am aware that RogueSpear has offered out some silent msi installers that install via svcpack.inf, but having looked at these i noticed that in his re-packaging it uses no switches and i want to learn.

So, does anybody know how to do this? know which applications do install and how?

NeilW

P.S: I looked through 50pages yesterday and couldn't see anything, and nobody used svcpack.inf and very few used T-13 in topic title.

P.P.S: I did search but didn't see an answer or pointer

cheers, boooggy but that site doesn't explain how to use svcpack.inf to install apps other than WindowsMedia Player, and then it isn't wholly accurate with details, it says no switches need, when quite obviously they are.

It does explain how to use, [guirunonce] / runonceex.cmd even WPI & xplode briefly.

But i wish to install Applications from svcpack.inf / t-13 like acrobat, winrar etc

svcpack is generaly not a time when users CHOSE to install apps why?

its the most premature time in setup other then detachedprograms

this means your more likely to run into issues, but many apps work durring this time.

basicly all you do is make a silent installer (or you can run the program with necasery switches as well)

place that in the SVCPACK folder in your i386 folder on your xp cd

then in svcpack.inf

under the [setupHotfixesToRun] section (create it if its not already there)

place the name of the exe(and switches as applicable)

thats all!

it is most commen for addons to use this method btw so if you need help just use nlite and integrate a addon and look at the output.

thanks spazmire11,

that's pretty much what i thought.

I tried the nlite addon packs, but none use swicthes as they are built into the created packages.

looks like a learn and try, which could take a while!!

I just thought it would be nicer to install apps here so will def be for all users not just HKLM\CU.

might look at xplode or keep with runonceex.cmd then

svcpack is generaly not a time when users CHOSE to install apps why?

its the most premature time in setup other then detachedprograms

this means your more likely to run into issues, but many apps work durring this time.

From the reading I do here, it seems given the choice most people do in fact pick svcpack.inf when it's available. I specifically chose to install as many applications as possible from svcpack.inf. Indeed, some do not support this functionality, but the majority do. It is especially convenient to install applications that require a reboot before they start to function because then they are available after Windows finishes off the GUI portion of setup. Further, applications installed from svcpack.inf apply all of the user registry entries to the Default User profile.

quick question whilst we are on the topic. i saw that there is a silent installer for java and .net framework 1.1

question is. has the ryanvm java installer been fixed yet because whenever i tried to use that installer yahoo games would no longer be useable as it spat out script errors, but when i used the normal installer they worked fine.

also

Is there a silent installer for .net framework 2.0 that can be installed using svcpack.inf

Edited by ScubaSteve

Hmm.. I made a Java installer myself. Knowing Ryan, I'm guessing he made his similarly to how I made mine. Basically, just a few tweaks to the .msi file. It's one of the more straight forward installers to make and not much different than running whatever you get from Sun themselves.

Regarding .NET 2.0. I believe someone made an installer that will do it from svcpack.inf, but it's just the original installer from Microsoft compressed - which is quite large. Most of the switchless silent installer you'll find out there for .NET 2.0 are compressed administrative installation point installs. This makes for a much smaller install file. The downside is that there is a known issue - known to Microsoft - that prevents that type of installer from working within svcpack.

It's really not too big of a deal as installing it from RunOnceEx works just fine. I'm hoping that when Microsoft releases an update to the .NET 2.0 runtimes, they'll address this issue. It's been quite a while now since the initial release, so perhaps it will be before too long.

@RogueSpear - you mention that you do prefer to install apps via svcpack.inf -

How do you knwo which ones do and don't work?

Do you test and see if works or fails?

Do you add them to the section with normal install switches?

or install via winrar sfx?

any advice on how to go about would be appreicated

There's three categories of software for the purposes of our discussion here. Those that will install from svcpack.inf, those that won't, and those that will with a little bit of convincing. By far most applications I've run into will install just fine from svcpack.inf. If you've tried to install an app from svcpack.inf and it doesn't appear on the Start Menu or it simply errors out when it runs, check the Event Viewer to see if there were any problems during the install process. Sometime you'll get some valuble information there. Microsoft Office 2003 is a good example. I saw in the event log that there was an error when the installer tried to write registry values relating to application error reporting. Since I don't use application error reporting, I simply deleted those registry entries from the .msi installer (that's another topic entirely). So Office would fit into the category of "will install with convincing." Some applications I have not been able to install from svcpack.inf no matter what. The Cisco VPN Client is a good example of this as is the NetMotion VPN client. I'm guessing that there's something in the OS not yet available that these installers need to install properly. It's really a matter of trial and error and reading the forums here to see what other people are finding.

• 4 years later...

Well, I feel that you are right. I suggest you to use VirtualTek nLite addon Maker and Universal Silent Switch Finder (USSF.exe), which requires PEID.exe. These 2 programs can be understood by almost anyone by using 3-4 times.

OiOldman