Methods For Installing Apps

catman915

personally, i use the $OEM$ method, look on the msfn unattended section for the $OEM$ section

have a GOOD read over it so you get the concept.

i make 7zip switchless installers, have a look on the forums for '7z switchless installer' (so they're just one exe file for each program) and call them in 'runoncex' from 'cmdlines.txt'

generaly the best method is the one you feel most comfortable with. they all have advanteges and disadvanteges:

Runonceex: hard to learn if your new to registry, good looking

Batch: easy to learn, not so great looking

WPI: good looking, too many features for some id argue.

SVCPACK: only used in the case of addons for nlite id have to say.

My advice would be to start with batch. It's the easiest of all the install methods. You can learn all the switches and different packaging methods. Once you've got a working unattended disc you can move onto (Runonceex, WPI, etc). The other methods are not hard once you understand the basics.

RideGuy

Thanks to all who responded. Your suggestions have spawned a few more questions. Is there a preferred way to handle installs that require a serial number or a tutorial covering this aspect also, if I use batch method I noticed that there are 3-4 places to put the BAT file. Is one better than the other? I hope these questions don't sound too trifling but it's all pretty confusing at this point in my learning curve. Thanks again.

Edited by catman915