Problems with hfslip and W2K -> msxml3x.dll

ThunderM

Back again,

The problem with the msxml3x.dll`s is still present, have to revise my info from yesterday.

Today I have created another Win2k Pro CD, this time with IE6, got problem again and even another one, check setuperr.log.

Rechecking my cd from yesterday without IE6 and without msxml3x.dll errors I recognized that the WindowsUpdateagent wasn`t slipped.

So, there is def. a problem with hfslip and Win2K. Other users who slip the same config as I should have the same entries in their setuperr.log.

Guys, please take a look.

Thx.

TC - If there is an OE prob with windows update, the OEUPDATE.EXE KB######.INF command must be issued. This command was in HFSLIP a while back, but was removed. Perhaps it is a good idea to add it back in.

There is no need to change anything on OE, slipping the 2 mentioned updates runs flawless and WU/MBSA is happy.

ERROR_REPORT.TXT

setuperr.txt

Edited by ThunderM

There is no need to change anything on OE, slipping the 2 mentioned updates runs flawless and WU/MBSA is happy.
The point is that you should not be including those updates as they are intended for a different version of Outlook Express. Have you always had this problem with the OE updates? When did you try HFSLIP for the first time?
Rechecking my cd from yesterday without IE6 and without msxml3x.dll errors I recognized that the WindowsUpdateagent wasn`t slipped.
Exactly how did you determine Windows Update Agent wasn't slipped? Are files missing on the CD?

Is Windows Update Agent slipstreamed when including IE6?

Edited by Tomcat76

The point is that you should not be including those updates as they are intended for a different version of Outlook Express. Have you always had this problem with the OE updates? When did you try HFSLIP for the first time?
Exactly how did you determine Windows Update Agent wasn't slipped? Are files missing on the CD?

Is Windows Update Agent slipstreamed when including IE6?

To 1: I have tried with IE5 on Win2K for 3 times, all yseterday (always checking with MBSA/WU).

I used hfslip almost since beginning, mostly on wxp.

To 2: In SVCPACK dir the wuxxxx.cab was missing, mbsa told me that WinUpdateAgent wasn`t installed -> that´s how I even recognized it.

To 3: Yes, WUA was slipped when including IE6.

To 1: I have tried with IE5 on Win2K for 3 times, all yseterday (always checking with MBSA/WU).

I used hfslip almost since beginning, mostly on wxp.

In that case, you don't know if it's a new problem or not.
To 2: In SVCPACK dir the wuxxxx.cab was missing, mbsa told me that WinUpdateAgent wasn`t installed -> that´s how I even recognized it.
You mean "wusetup.cat"?

This is strange. HFSLIP doesn't restrict the slipstreaming of Windows Update Agent based on IE version. The only "filtering" that's done is based on the OS language... and I can't see how that would differ depending on the version of IE. I could understand if Windows refused to *install* WUA files when IE5 is used but they should still be present in the SOURCESS\I386 folder...

I could restore IEUPDATE and VGXUPDATE for IE5 if it makes a difference.

@ThunderM: Is this a recent problem?

I get a vgx.dll missing error with an odd HFSLIP + nLite configuration. Adding vgx.dll to the nLite keepfiles section fixed it, so that may be another new thing to add to this list.

HFSLIP doesn't do anything "special" with vgx.dll. In fact, it doesn't do anything with that file at all. I don't use nLite (don't like programs of which I don't have full control) but maybe someone else that uses HFSLIP with nLite can shed some light on this. I find it strange that noone ever came across this before. But then again... You do call it an "odd configuration", so maybe you should first explain what you're doing.

Edited by Tomcat76

My "Odd" configuration isn't perfected yet. :P

Someone asked me to put together easy instructions on how to get an extremely lite Win2k("easy" as in for people that can follow simple instructions, but have no intent to learn). I modified some things to get HFSLIP to not complain about USP5.1, slipstreamed dx90c, and left IE5. I got a vgx.dll and msvidctl.dll copy error when removing IE but keeping the IE core with nLite.

Adding both to keepfiles fixed that, and then I tried integrating IE6(which seemed to work fine).

I haven't posted anything on this yet though because some USP features don't seem to want to stick, which somewhat negates the point of being "easier". I was told USP has a pre-hacked explorer.exe that enables full-colour systray icons, but my USP-slipstream does not.

TC is correct, hfslip doesn't do anything with VGX. It is installed via syssetup.inf (a protected file that HFSLIP doesn't touch). I have a few applications that need VGX (and they won't install if it's not there), so i don't remove it with NLITE. Besides, now I use alternate methods to reduce my 2k sourcess ;). Can you say 100 meg ISO?

I was told USP has a pre-hacked explorer.exe that enables full-colour systray icons, but my USP-slipstream does not.

He uses hacked setup files to disable SFC during setup too.

Can you say 100 meg ISO?

Yep. I can say 100mb ISO w/ nLite & All Drivers Integrated. I can also say 250mb windows dir, and 10mb 'Programs And Apps'.

I'm going to be looking into alternative reduction methods aswell soon - nLite leaves too much registry junk lying around.

Ok, it seems that noone is interested in it or even verify himself.

It`s ok, I solved the problems myself.

You get msxml3x.dll signing errors only, if you slip WUA on W2K, if you do not slip it and install manually later everything is fine (or use HFSVPK_SW dir)

I also reported this error:

Error:

Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINNT\system32\danim.dll because of the following error:

LoadLibrary returned error 126 (7e).

This problem occurs if you slip IE6.0sp1-KB905915-Windows-2000-XP-x86-ENU hotfix, again with manual integration everything goes fine.

A small tip for the guys who leave SFC intact (that´s why I went to 2K): After installation you should browse you %Windir% for setuperr.log and see what really went wrong.

My error report is on page 2 for those interested.

Anyway hfslip at least works for WXP without problems.

Thunder

In all my tests, no problems occurred with slipstreaming those hotfixes you're talking about.

The WUA20 file should not go in HFSVPK_SW as it doesn't work with /Q:A /R:N switches.

That error you received with KB905915: did you get the error as a pop-up message or in setuperr.log? Sometimes, additional errors appear in setuperr.log that are not really major errors and are *supposed* to happen.

Edited by Super-Magician

ThunderM...

You're the first to report this problem and we haven't experienced it yet. I did what I could. I happen to own a German copy of Windows XP but not of Windows 2000 so I can't diagnose this completely myself.

A new test release is in the works. It already ignores msxml3.dll and msxml3r.dll from WUA if the Update Rollup exists; this is OK since the version numbers are identical. I'm looking into the danim.dll issue now.

It would help if you gave me the following:

- version number and file size of danim.dll on the new installation (system32 folder)

- the latest HFSLIPWU.INF file (SOURCESS\I386)

Edited by Tomcat76