Win rar encryption.

breadandbubbles

You want to set up a password protected .RAR file, right? So that if anyone wants to decrompress it, it will need the password to continue.

Is that it?

He'll put default password but I didn't ever heard of that in apps...

Routers have default passwords when u buy them etc, but this... :wacko:

Encryption is different from putting a password on the RAR archive.

@N1K: You can put passwords on both RAR and ZIP archives. ZIP archives have supported this for a looooong time. With WinZip 9.0 and higher you can even use 256-bit AES encryption on a ZIP archive (an encrypted ZIP archive is much harder to crack than one that simply has a password on it). Even Office applications will allow you to put passwords on your Word Documents, Excel Spreadsheets, etc. :)

Apparently WinRAR allows you to specify a default password to use for all add/extract functions. I don't use WinRAR much but it looks like it even supports some form of encryption.

In this dialog you may enter a default password, which will apply to the add, extract, test and view operations.

If the "Show password" option is disabled, you will be asked to type the password twice to ensure correctness.

If you set "Encrypt file names" option, WinRAR will encrypt not only file data, but all other sensitive archive areas like file names, sizes, attributes, comments and other blocks, so it provides a higher security level. Without a password it is impossible to view even the list of files in archive encrypted with this option. This option has sense only when compressing data to RAR archive, it is ignored when the default password is used to decompress data or to compress to ZIP.

@breadandbubbles: What version of WinRAR are you using?

@N1K: You can put passwords on both RAR and ZIP archives. ZIP archives have supported this for a looooong time. With WinZip 9.0 and higher you can even use 256-bit AES encryption on a ZIP archive (an encrypted ZIP archive is much harder to crack than one that simply has a password on it). Even Office applications will allow you to put passwords on your Word Documents, Excel Spreadsheets, etc. :)

Apparently WinRAR allows you to specify a default password to use for all add/extract functions. I don't use WinRAR much but it looks like it even supports some form of encryption.

In this dialog you may enter a default password, which will apply to the add, extract, test and view operations.

If the "Show password" option is disabled, you will be asked to type the password twice to ensure correctness.

Yes buddy, I know that you can use passwords for winrar and winzip documents but haven't heard of default passwords in it, since you used the word "apparently" you haven't tried it also :) But I'm interested in checking this out so I'll let you know what I've done... :)

I got this from a Google search:

Set a password to encrypt archived files. It is valid only during a single archiving operation and overrides the default password entered in File menu. If the default password is present, it will be restored after the archiving operation is completed. If the default password was absent before starting archiving, it also will be absent after finishing the operation.

So, in fact, there is a default password, right? If there is one, what is it?

Like N1K said, Routers have default passwords, not compression applications.

*Gouki tries admin. Didn't work*

Screenshot from WinRAR 3.40 for setting the default password.

The option lets you set a default password to use for archiving operations. For example, if you are creating a lot of RAR files and want them all passworded with the same password, you can set this option once and that password will be used for all RAR files created. Otherwise you have to enter the password every time you generate a new RAR file.

post-31126-1143311650_thumb.jpg

alright. i dont really understand.

i dont want a default password to apply to each archive. just one archive with the password i choose.

i guess what i want is a way to block people from viewing the contents of my archive, and force them to type a password to uncompress anything.

i dont know. it seems simple. but this default password thing winrar has doesnt do JACK. its completely useless as far as i can tell.

ive seen this done. os i know itr can be done. i just dont know how.

i belive you have to set the password then add the files to the archive, then files that are password protected have a * at the end of their names. i think you can encrypt the names too but i forget how to do it in winrar....

i dont want a default password to apply to each archive. just one archive with the password i choose.

That's easy....

Open WinRAR and navigate to the files that you want to archive. Select the files and/or directories. Right click on the selection and choose Add files to archive. When the wizard pops up go to the Advanced tab. There's a Set password... button. Click it and set your password. Now set any other options you want (Compression method, etc). Click OK and your archive will be created with a password.