[beta] User Creation Tool

@Joc

You may be right about the localization being the problem. I'll look into it as soon as I get home and will let you know :)

@Aserone

Glad you like it :)

@razormoon

Yeah, I think WIHU came up a few posts ago. Nice app, I am still using it to deploy my software (although the development stopped a while ago) + it allows for multiple user creation :)

CF

Hi.

Nice Piece of software.

Could you maybe add an Owner and Organization to it.

As you probably know found under:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion]

"RegisteredOrganization"=""

"RegisteredOwner"=""

Thanx.

I haven't used this yet... but I am going to try it. It sounds very cool.

I see that it is simple to add a timeout period... but I was thinking... Is there any way to make it use the internal speaker of the computer to make it beep periodically, (Like every second), to let you know it is ready for input?

That would be very useful for a user that is installing many computers... It would let the user know the computer is ready for input. ;)

Edited by Siginet

@DHead

It was not my intention to be able to do that but let me think about this ...

To be honest I made a small GUI some time ago that does just what you describe, although I never used it since I was happy setting this information in winnt.sif ...

@Siginet

I was experimenting with some visual style to be honest: a small progress bar that keeps track of the countdown. I'll try to see what I can do with the beeping option :)

CF

After Joc's comment I realized that the function that checked to see if the user context running this tool has admin privileges was in fact using the user's name. That means that if there are special characters and/or anything unicode then the username was treated as an ascii string and this apparently brakes things :(

I am releasing this small update that hopefully fixes the above problem (I am now checking for SIDs all the way through). I would appreciate it if people with non-english windows versions could check this however as I cannot.

v0.91 Changelog

- Rewrote the function that determines if a user has admin rights adding non-english language support

Updated first post and uploaded v0.91

CF

There have a been a couple of interesting suggestions plus I have seen quite a few threads popping up lately where people talk about securing the administrator account, so I decided to add some major enhancements on this little tool. In version 1 I added a new section (SecurityInfo) that allows users to rename the administrator and/or Guest accounts. It will also allow for the creation of fake accounts (Administrator and Guest) that do not belong to any group and are by default stripped of any privileges and disabled. Their passwords are set to a loooong MD5 randomly generated string that would take quite some time to hack. Personally I do not really care about those fake accounts since it would be fairly easy to get their SIDs and check if they are real or not. Regardless this adds some extra security to windows :)

I also rewrote some parts of the GUI and now sections can be completely disabled using the INI file Parse[]Section directives.

Here are some piccies:

newuser17cu.th.jpg sectiondisabled5yq.th.jpg

Note that although the renaming of Guest and Administrator accounts is independent of regional settings, the creation of the fake accounts is not. Unfortunately I have not found a way yet to get the names (Administrator and Guest respectively) in a non language dependant way out of the system. The same applies to the description of the above accounts (Built-in account for administering the computer/domain and Built-in account for guest access to the computer/domain respectively).

Does anybody know how to get these out of the system? I do not want to query using NetUserGetInfo API calls because the accounts may already have been altered and I need their original names in whatever language the system is using ...

Renaming of the administrator account and creation of the fake one is not possible at T13 so if you want to do that in an unattended fashion you should use the tool at T13 to create an admin user and set the autologon flag, then use the tool again at GuiRunOnce with an altered INI file to process only the SecurityInfo section in order to rename the Administrator/create a fake one.

v.1.0 Changelog

• Added options to change the registered owner/organization
  • Added new section - SecurityInfo
    • Rename default Administrator account
    • Rename default Administrator account
    • Rename default Guest account
    • Create a fake Administrator account and lock it down
    • Create a fake Guest account and lock it down
    • Hide Administrator account from login list of users (Windows XP only)

[*]Rewrote the GUIs dependence on the INI file. Sections will be disabled if the relevant Parse flags are set to 0

[*]Fake accounts work for the english versions of windows ONLY!

Updated first post and uploaded v1.0

Enjoy :)

CF

Edited by cancerface

Thank you! Everything is worked correctly.

But some things: can you do that with external language files? Please don't forget, not everyone is englishman in New York. :)

When I log into my computer with a user who has admin rights, I cant run this program. But _I have_ admi rights. Change the error message: "You are not THE administrator!" or "Please log in Administrator!" or whatever. Or check the rights, not the names.

Another idea: is there any SILENT switch? For example, I would like to set up users in my unattended Windows "unattendedly". (wow, new english words... :)) Silent switch for the 3 part of the program: user accounts, computer details and security options.

...or not... :blink:

Joc

@cancerface, is it possible to add some fields to it where you can set the DHCP or custom IP/DNS settings?

So u can completely config ur pc in a unattended pc

(computername/ip settings/useraccounts/admin pass etc etc etc)

would be nice =)

I used this works lying down this to svcpack and, calling aaCreateUser.exe then what first oneself unlocked before the installation of all programmes the certainty gives that programmes will settle in under the written down administrator.

I wrote down natomast in the file svcpack in the catalogue i386

[setupHotfixesToRun]

aaCreateUser.exe

Works with this superbly that the option of the time sie does not activate you should click enter

Thank you! Everything is worked correctly.

But some things: can you do that with external language files? Please don't forget, not everyone is englishman in New York. smile.gif

Hey Joc, I am glad that it worked!

Language files ... Hmmmm... let me think about that ;)

When I log into my computer with a user who has admin rights, I cant run this program. But _I have_ admi rights. Change the error message: "You are not THE administrator!" or "Please log in Administrator!" or whatever. Or check the rights, not the names.
That's strange ... The tool gets the username, then its SID then checks to see if the SID belongs to the admin group. So I can't really see how a user with admin rights ends up not being there ...
Or check the rights, not the names.
I am actually checking if the user belongs to a group, not his/her name. What rights did you have in mind though?
Another idea: is there any SILENT switch? For example, I would like to set up users in my unattended Windows "unattendedly". (wow, new english words... smile.gif) Silent switch for the 3 part of the program: user accounts, computer details and security options.
Not a bad idea, although it doesn't really follow the initial goal stated on the first page. I guess you can have the unattended mode that you ask if you set the timer to something small (say 1 sec ie Timeout=1000) so that the GUI will not wait for any answer from you. I'll see if I can come up with a better idea though :yes:

@RogueSpear

Yeah, I've been a busy little bee here :)

@Yurek3

I guess you found a bug ...

Indeed the timeout was not working, I had a stupid syntax error in there. Sorry for that, will update the first post with a newer version as soon as I fix this one.

@Gigre

I have been working for a while along those lines and I was going to release something like this that will also include detection of the enet's MAC and then the net details would be automatically set. However I do not have a working version yet ...

@all

Thanks for the input, I always like to have new good ideas :)

CF

Updated to v.1.0.1

Fixed a typo that would not allow a timeout to occur :realmad:

Updated first post and uploaded the new version

Enjoy!

CF