[HFSLIP $oem$ Questions]

Kramy

Searching my Win2k install for various files to put in my oem folder, I discovered a whole bunch with different versions and dates.

My main Win2k install has makecab.exe from: July 14, 2003, 3:00:00 AM

Yet the downloadable one is from 1997. Which should I use?

I found an extract.exe from: November 22, 2005, 10:16:44 PM

Again, should I use this one instead of the 1997 version?

What's Extrac32.exe? It does nothing when run in a command prompt or by itself. :blink:

Oh, and nLited(after) with SFC disabled, calc.exe doesn't seem to want to replace itself with pcalc using the oem method. Should I put calc.exe in the FIX folder(it overwites any file right, not just ntldr/ntdetect.com?), or just manually cab it and overwrite it?

Thank you for answering my n00b questions. :thumbup

My main Win2k install has makecab.exe from: July 14, 2003, 3:00:00 AM

Yet the downloadable one is from 1997. Which should I use?

When you say "main Win2k install," are you referring to a clean source or one that is HFSLIPed?

The 2003 version of makecab must be dated as such since the files on all official setup CDs have the same date and time. The downloadable one is probably the same exact file as the one from the CD. Do they have the same file sizes?

You don't need to put any files in your OEM folder, unless you really need them. If you want to make an HFSLIP friendly OS, just use whatever is on the CD. If a special utility is required, you will be prompted when you run HFSLIP.

As far as the calc.exe goes. There is more than one way. The easiest way is to rename your pcalc.exe to calc.exe, makecab it so it is calc.ex_ and then put it into the FIX folder (or drop it into your source\i386 folder). When running NLITE, don't remove the calculator. (duh).

Super-Magician: My main Win2k install was HFSLIP+nLited, but no extra tools were added in $oem$, and I've been using it since November. I figured now would be a good time to redo everything and get more right this time around(like not breaking codecs and stuff).

They all have different file sizes. I can see XP's versions being updated, but why would Win2k have updated versions? Performance enhancements, maybe? I might go grab XP versions of all of those off a laptop, actually.

tommyp: Done. Now, something I was wondering...I know it's possible to add an "Open Command Prompt Here" to folders, but can it be done for exe files? The only time I ever want to run something in a command window is when I need to run a command line program(an exe).

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\cmd]
@="Open CMD Window"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\cmd\command]
@="cmd.exe /k \"cd %L\""/

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out. This seems to work. :thumbup

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\cmd]
@="Open CMD Window"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\cmd\command]
@="cmd.exe %L"

Edited by Kramy