Windows XP on an Intel Mac Contest Won

ringfinger

XP kills MACs ? Apparently a driver problem is stoping the FAN from going on, and is melting MACs around the world! hehe

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=187294

Bad hardware design to have the software control the cooling... maybe Apple did this deliberately to discourage people from trying to run Windows on their computers?

Strange that nobody from that link you mentioned had the thought of just opening the Mac up and directly wiring the fan to the PSU...

LOL. Good point ... However, I read a more recent article saying that afterall, Windows was not killing them. I'll search and post it here.

Well, you can't say Mac users don't hunt down rumors and quash them quickly (though some are, of course, just as guilty of spreading rumors)! It appears that the fans in Macs do indeed go on regardless of which OS is running, though there is apparently some concern about how the fans are regulated by software over time. Several commenters have pointed out that even in some earlier Mac models, running non-Apple OSes (i.e., Linux) could result in the fans running constantly, due to a lack of Apple power-management software. So, the good news seems to be that, no, XP won't melt your Mac. The bad news? Your fans may whirr constantly, causing a bit of noise pollution, and possibly draining your batteries before their time if you're using a MacBookPro. We do have every confidence that narf, blanka and the rest will resolve this issue -- and probably for a lot less than $13,000.
Edited by Gouki