Drivers Instalation in Post-Install stage (New Method)

MadBoy

Amazing work, just was I was needing :D

Only kink in operation is this:

The application and drivers are on a USB external hard disk, REMOVABLE does not work as it would with a SD/USB flash drive, nor would CD. The drive shows up as a normal HDD. While it usually would work(ie setting some odd driver letter) I would rather have a fix than a work around.

Possibly have a drive option = RELATIVE(to exe), so you could put it -anywhere-?

I would like to contribute, I am a PHP/MySQL developer so if things mature to a point where you need a dev feel free to contact me. Very fluent in a base langs, getting familiar with templating systems and commonly used libraries to speed up development times.

Changelog for 0.6.8

- Added option RELATIVE to drivers_drive that takes the drive letter from path where the program is started at. So no more setting drive letter for harddrives is required. Just put hardware.exe on same drive as the drivers are located and it should find them with no problems.

- Added check for / in drivers_dir so it can't be used

Hopefully this addon works :P Didn't realy tested those so report errors ;)

@Anamnesis:

That was actually nice idea so here you go :) And not realy hard to add.

Just thought i would share a bit of stats with you guys :)

- hardware_0.6.7.exe was downloaded 984 times since december when i've enabled counting :)

- hardware_1.0.1.exe was downloaded 139 times even thou it wasn't even "officially" rlsed and is same as orginal just a bit diffrent code and was released for testing purposes for one guy :P

- hardware_0.6.8.exe was downloaded 20 times but it was released yesterday so nothing big :)

Thanks all for support, you make me "going".

- hardware_1.0.1.exe was downloaded 139 times even thou it wasn't even "officially" rlsed and is same as orginal just a bit diffrent code and was released for testing purposes for one guy :P
Ooh... I think he might perhaps be talking about me! :whistle:

Good job man! Keep up the good work :thumbup

~Dave

Edited by twig123

Nah, it was for this chineese guy that had some problem :) I have some ideas how to speed it up but it will be always slower then using DIR output. It will be less messy in code thou. Nicer for me. I wish i would get some kick in the head so i would start working on professional version as it looks realy good even now ;P

Well i'm sure there is, as probably that's why there was timer added by me on someone's request.

WINNT.SIF - You can do something like this (that's just an example):

[GuiUnattended]AdminPassword=xyz

AutoLogon=Yes

AutoLogonCount=1

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=110

OemSkipWelcome=1

[GuiRunOnce]

"\\winpack.ee.ethz.ch.\pack\configure\charon\runonce.bat"

I'm sure in other modes like SYSPREP.INF or RIS or whatever you can do similar things. Just google for it.

Ah i read it wrong :P "before" login. I read it "after login. Well you could prolly use the proggy sometime sooner but guess you don't need my proggy then as Windows would detect the drivers itself. You just need to give him paths where to look for. My program is typically done for After first login to windows either from automatic point of view or manual.

Well I figured it out :thumbup

I got it to work but did it differently

HKEY_USERS\.Default\Control Panel\Desktop\

Edit String SCRNSAVE.EXE to wherever the program you want to run is

Edit String ScreenSaveActive to 1

Edit String ScreenSaverIsSecure to 0

Edit String ScreenSaveTimeOut to whatever seconds you want to wait, I put 20 to allow time to login but also let me run the program...

Works great... I'm adding this to my sysprep and I have a program that auto installs hardware.

Think I'm going to use a batch script that runs this then imports the proper reg keys...

Seems like a nice idea to replace Screen Saver with hardware detection mechanizm. Why won't you integrate the drivers into sysprep image totally for all devices? I'm asking because i've recently changed my job and i was told that the company has 88 builds that will have to manage and i will have to cut down the numbers so i'm wondering on possible solutions on how to achieve a lot less like 1-5 images + some dvd with applications of their choice (if multiple options of course). I haven't had occasion to look how they are doing it now since i need to go to .UK to be first introduced on how they are managing all that and how it's done ATM, but i want to have some background and some ideas first to shoot with :)

The problem comes with the WLAN drivers from Intel. It makes sysprep take FOREVER to finish. So I just add the rest and leave hardware to add them after first login.

Btw, I get an error after it detects all drivers and then tries to pull up the hardware installation wizards... When I get back to work I'll shoot that to you Monday.