HFSLIP - Test releases

Tomcat76

crystal sir!

i do not include those i do not need (some are present though in ryanvm update pack ... but i guess the update caters to all types of users be it for desktop or portable)

if its regarding the zip files, i won't use what i don't need next time! :)

Edited by Kiki Burgh

hi!

i was able to come up w/ a successful build after 3 tries ... the most significant change was the removal of .cab files ...

i'd just like to ask if this has some effect on the build though:

Creating ISO...

G:\HFTOOLS\mkisofs.exe (600): *** Could not create mutex for list synchronisation.

do we need to remove also directx files from the HFCABS folder if already in ryanvm update pack 2.0.6?

in short, anything that is duplicated needs to be removed?

attached is HFSLIP.txt for your reference is needed.

as i understand, HFSLIP actually considers only the latest file version when recompressing, correct?

as such, HFSLIP should just ignore presence of duplicate files, right?

please correct me if i am mistaken.

thanks again! :)

HFSLIP.txt

i was able to come up w/ a successful build after 3 tries ... the most significant change was the removal of .cab files ...
CAB files or CAT files?
G:\HFTOOLS\mkisofs.exe (600): *** Could not create mutex for list synchronisation.
I've really no idea. I never use mkisofs so I don't know this program. TommyP added support for it a long time ago...
do we need to remove also directx files from the HFCABS folder if already in ryanvm update pack 2.0.6?
It's already at version 2.0.6? Then I better check that it's still working properly in HFSLIP, hehe. I used 2.0.5...

Your file list is getting better. There are still some duplicates. Did you check RVM's list?

You can remove msxmlcab.exe, msxml6.msi, the D3DX9 cabs, swflash.cab and MUWEB_SITE.CAB. At this moment, you don't need LegitCheckControl.cab either I believe. There could still be some hotfixes that you can remove but I didn't verify that.

Are these two different programs?

Addon_LClock_v4w_dgelwin.cab

Addon_LClock_v4_dgelwin.cab

in short, anything that is duplicated needs to be removed?
Yep.
as i understand, HFSLIP actually considers only the latest file version when recompressing, correct?

as such, HFSLIP should just ignore presence of duplicate files, right?

Not exactly. If there are files with identical names then the latest will be used. But SYSOC.INF or SVCPACK.INF will install the program more than once (once per addon). This isn't necessarily problematic but it can be. It's best not to try that out. Edited by Tomcat76

hi Tomcat! :hello:

CAB files or CAT files?
oops ... i'm sorry ... CAT it is! ;)
It's already at version 2.0.6? Then I better check that it's still working properly in HFSLIP, hehe. I used 2.0.5...
he! he!
Your file list is getting better. There are still some duplicates. Did you check RVM's list?

You can remove msxmlcab.exe, msxml6.msi, the D3DX9 cabs, swflash.cab and MUWEB_SITE.CAB. At this moment, you don't need LegitCheckControl.cab either I believe. There could still be some hotfixes that you can remove but I didn't verify that.

yup i did check the list but i focused more on the KBs ... as for the rest, they've been sitting in the folders eversince (mostly those in the HFCABS
Are these two different programs?

Addon_LClock_v4w_dgelwin.cab

Addon_LClock_v4_dgelwin.cab

yes sir ...

TC, pardon me for asking but will HFSLIP eventually come to completely support RyanVM update addon?

Honestly, I do not have anything against it. In fact, it helps us getting just 1 big chunk than having to download each hotfixes (that apply to our systems). (It is helpful RyanVM! :)) However, this brings me to the next question about the path HFSLIP will thread ... having everything done the HFSLIP way!

On the other hand, should HFSLIP completely welcome the use of the update pack (& some others), perhaps we can request RyanVM (& the other creators) to consider HFSLIP's processes & requirements when coming up w/ update addons for best compatibility purposes!

Sir(s), again from my end ... however or whichever way you guys decide to bring HFSLIP ... i will support it! :thumbup It will just be a matter of getting/using the resources for coming up w/ successful builds!

btw sir, in some other builds i experimented on, i tried adding regular .exe installers in the HFSVCPACK FOLDERS & until now i've been observing their functions in the GUI already & i see nothing wrong ... they install at T-13 & completes successfully ... and works fine while in the OS already ! :) anything bad about doing this?

Thanks!

Edited by Kiki Burgh

TC, pardon me for asking but will HFSLIP eventually come to completely support RyanVM update addon?
It is supposed to be supported completely. Your CAT problem seems to be unique. The only part that isn't covered is the removal of duplicate driver binaries but that's "corrected" with DBLBINXP.EXT.
btw sir, in some other builds i experimented on, i tried adding regular .exe installers in the HFSVCPACK FOLDERS & until now i've been observing their functions in the GUI already & i see nothing wrong ... they install at T-13 & completes successfully ... and works fine while in the OS already ! :) anything bad about doing this?
Not that I can see. But you're lucky... XP is "better" than 2000 at letting you install things at T-13 but it's still not perfect; some programs (like MDAC_TYP.EXE) just won't install at T-13.

KiKi, im sorry if this has been covered before, but why are you using hfslip at all if your going to use the RVM Pack? Most, if not all of the updates covered by hfslip would already be in the RVM pack i would have thought?

Dont get me wrong, its great your testing hfslip because they can always use more testers, but i was wondering. Personally, the reason i use hfslip is so i dont have to use the RVM pack.

If you're just into adding "all" hotfixes then you can do with the RVM Integrator in this particular case. But HFSLIP can do much more than adding hotfixes.

Edited by Tomcat76

Good point TC. Maybe im just slow, but for some reason i didnt think of the extra features like adding in codecs automagically, easy appreplacements, etc when it came to XP. I think i've been fiddling with Win2k to much!

Hi, I think I have put my post in the wrong plance and this is the better one. There is a little problem with sliplstream of KB897338 for non-US Windows, because this hotfix change the default value (in INTL.INF, sectio [Defaultvalue]) of locale to 00000409, this make the UWCD useless for atualization and give conflict of idiom. I think it would not dificult to implement a correction in batch file for non US to return the original value. I have slipstreamed with and without this hotfix and the problem occur only with it (by the way I´m using the HFSLIP_60518a version)

When I run HFSLIP_60518b with files in the HFEXPERT\WIN subfolders, the files do not get installed. This is what is put into TXTSETUP.SIF:

[WinntDirectories]

1101 = "PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\BATCH"

[sourceDisksFiles]

cmdow.exe = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0

sifdir,0,0

sifdir,0,0

sifdir,0,0

As you can see the directory is identified but the file output is sifdir,0,0. They are correct in DOSNET.INF.

Also on line 2359 is the following command, DEL/Q/F DRV.TXT. This causes an error when HFSLIP is running as there is no other reference to DRV.TXT in the command file.

heisking: Can you attach your log file or tell us the directory/file structure of your HFEXPERT folders?

The sifdir variable is part of the HFEXPERT script section in HFSLIP. However, it is not supposed to be added to TXTSETUP.SIF, of course. There may be something wrong with the structure of your folders.