Getting Windows Updates

I know one can go to Windows Update and have their system auto-magically serviced by Microsofts site based on the the updates they choose, or go to the Microsoft Windows Update Catalog, select and download updates for various Microsoft Operating Systems (and versions).

The problem, and what confuses me is that while a lot of updates are available on Microsoft Windows Update Catalog (some concatinated in various update and hotfix packages), it appears some are not, as when I build a slipstream disk with all the latest udates available from the Microsoft Windows Update Catalog, install the OS and check with Windows Update -- it still finds updates that have not been applied.

One method I've used as a workaround is:

· go to Microsoft Windows Update Catalog get updates and slipstream new disk

· install the OS

· go to Windows Update and find the updates not applied

· use the 'Microsoft Security Bulletin' to search and find alternative download locations

· slipstream these additional updates not available through Microsoft Windows Update Catalog

But this is a ridiculously tedious and wasteful operation; there must be a better way other then choosing Linux? Is there some way then to get all updates for a particular Microsoft OS that may or may not be installed on the system you are gathering updates with that will get everything in one step for a slipstream setup that it update current complete?

:}

Edited by hoak

Thanks guys! That's the sort of thing I was looking for. Though I still wonder if there is a some way to search Microsoft's sites and find official and complete lists of Updates and HotFixes per OS and patch level...

It's a shame and at the same time fortunate for people like me that this sort of thing is left up to the efforts dedicated Enthusiasts like the guys that keep these posts up to date...

:)

Do a base install of XP Service Pack 2 with no updates installed, then go to Windows Update. Select Custom, then when you see the list of updates under High Priority, click on the link for each update to expand it. Click on the "More Info" link, then in the little window that pops up, you'll see 2 links, one for home users and one for IT Pro's. Click the one for IT Pro's and it will take you to the TechNet bulletin pertaining to that update, and you will find a link on the page to download the update. Download it to a folder on your hard drive and rename it to the standard 8.3 format (ie. KBXXXXXX.exe) the X's being the update number.

Edited by dansouza