Question - Two Modems?

247unicorn

Thanks to MSFN for getting me out of many problems with my computer !!!!

Now, I need to know if you can have an ethernet modem and an internet highspeed modem on the same computer??? The ethernet is used for weekly reports coming from the head office at work, Now we want to connect to high speed internet. Can I connect the new modem with out it interfering with my ethernet modem ??

Thanks in advance for any help I can get !!

What I mean is - I know I CAN hook up the two modems ( ethernet and internet high speed) but can I still use either one when needed??Or will one cancel out the other ?? I know absolutly nothing about computer hardware, so I want to be sure before hooking up my highspeed modem! The ethernet is work related and I'll be in deep #$%& if I screw it up !

Thanks again !

What I mean is - I know I CAN hook up the two modems ( ethernet and internet high speed) but can I still use either one when needed??Or will one cancel out the other ?? I know absolutly nothing about computer hardware, so I want to be sure before hooking up my highspeed modem! The ethernet is work related and I'll be in deep #$%& if I screw it up !

Thanks again !

Just for future reference, they're called either Network Interface Cards (NIC for short) or Ethernet Cards...not Ethernet Modems. For the highspeed internet (usually called "broadband") you'll get either a Cable Modem or a DSL Modem...but this will connect to a NIC in your PC (or via USB cable).

You shouldn't have any problems with the two connections.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

i think that u are talking about the modem that your isp gives you. they have 1 usb port and 1 ethernet port and you can connect either to your computer but not both. go with the ethernet.

if you are talking about a router and you want to hook up 2 ethernet ports to ur computer, then it may or may not work. i will actually try this out, i just have to find my other ethernet cable, stupid sister...

What I gathered from his post is that he already has a work connection established on one network card. He can put the broadband on a seperate network card...even if it's behind a router...and it won't affect the work connection.