I need help on two things

:hello:

I need help on two things: 1) Plug and Play on Unofficial Win98 SE. What I have is when it boots, Windows thinks that it has new, but unknown, hardware in the system and so everything I have to cancel them and move on. There is no new hardware and all the others hardware have updated driver. Is there a place in the registry or system information that I can go to see when this problem is? Also, how much problems is there using Norton AntiVirus 2004 with Unofficial Win98 SE?

Thank you, Carrollsue :)

:hello:

I need help on two things: 1) Plug and Play on Unofficial Win98 SE. What I have is when it boots, Windows thinks that it has new, but unknown, hardware in the system and so everything I have to cancel them and move on. There is no new hardware and all the others hardware have updated driver. Is there a place in the registry or system information that I can go to see when this problem is? Also, how much problems is there using Norton AntiVirus 2004 with Unofficial Win98 SE?

Thank you, Carrollsue :)

The new but unknown device might be an extention of your systems mainboard. Have you tried installing your mainboards drivers? Perhaps made by intel or ViA?

My best guess is that this unknown device is most likely your "Enhanced USB 2.0" support. Being as you probably don't have the drivers it will end up asking for it constantly unless you lead it through the driver install screen. Then let it finally say 'unknown device' and then select 'ok'. It would then stop asking every bootup.

As for norton 2004, I would avoid any version 2000 and beyond like the plague and consider a different scanner. The newer versions are as painless as an extended migrane without medication. If you can get your hands on a different scanner such as 'McAffee', 'AVG' (free), one from 'TrendMicro', or an older version of 'Norton Antivirus' (pre-dating 2000) you'll be in much better shape.

Edited by Chozo4

Are you showing any unknown device in device manager? I would also boot to safe mode,device manager and check for any ghost devices listed. 98 is known for showing any device more than one time in device manager. If so you show a device listed more than one time in the device manager in safe mode you will have to remove all of that device and reboot and install the device. You can also run regedit go to Local machine,Enum,and check what hardware is installed.Before you ever remove hardware from windows always remove the drivers first than shut down to remove the hardware. Did you add a video card and have one already on the mother board? If so you will have to disable it in the bios and you can disable the device in device manager.

As far as antvirus I would use Avast and the home user is free.It is not a system hog and it is one of the highest rated software out there.

Edited by charles__

:yes: Thank you very much, will give your advice a try. Yes, I have removed ALL of Norton Antivirus and will NEVER use that that thing or anything from Norton again!!! :thumbup

Also, I would like to siad that this is the BEST site that I have found for just about any problem one has with anything dealing with hardware/sofeware. Thank you!!!

It's probably because Windows 98 don't include a driver for it, probably because the hardware is newer than Windows 98, thus required to download the driver from the hardware manufacturer's (or chipset manufacturer) web site!

:yes: Thank you very much, will give your advice a try. Yes, I have removed ALL of Norton Antivirus and will NEVER use that that thing or anything from Norton again!!! :thumbup

Also, I would like to siad that this is the BEST site that I have found for just about any problem one has with anything dealing with hardware/sofeware. Thank you!!!

your welcome Carrollsue. Norton antivirus [NAV] is a major resource grabber. more than what the latest version of McAfee VirusScan does.

as for using older versions of NAV older than 2000, I dont recommend it as they are not compatible with the latest virus definition updates and scan engine updates. better off using Avast or even F-prot antivirus software. F-Prot is not free but it also does not use up much resources like what Avast does.

...as for using older versions of NAV older than 2000, I dont recommend it as they are not compatible with the latest virus definition updates and scan engine updates.

I would have to disagree actually... Notice the Virus definition date and the listed copyright date. I'd say it works fine with the updates despite being released in 98 (definately pre-2000). The abouts from two of my systems shown to prove it's not "Because of norton systemworks" only.

This desktop (as listed in sig)

[bundled version with Norton SystemWorks v2.0]

nav5_updated.png

My Laptop (Toshiba A15-S157)

[standalone version of NAV v5]

nav5_updated2.png

Edited by Chozo4

I would have to disagree actually... Notice the Virus definition date and the listed copyright date. I'd say it works fine with the updates despite being released in 98 (definately pre-2000). The abouts from two of my systems shown to prove it's not "Because of norton systemworks" only.

This desktop (as listed in sig)

[bundled version with Norton SystemWorks v2.0]

nav5_updated.png

My Laptop (Toshiba A15-S157)

[standalone version of NAV v5]

nav5_updated2.png

wow, that's awesome, Chozo4. can you download updates for NAV 5 for free forever or do you have to pay for a yearly subscription of NAV updates?

I've bookmarked these pages to where users can get NAV updates:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...ation.page.html

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.download.html

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/download.html

wow, that's awesome, Chozo4. can you download updates for NAV 5 for free forever or do you have to pay for a yearly subscription of NAV updates?

You would still have to pay for yearly updates through liveupdate if I'm correct. The liveupdate from the newer versions of norton and the older are quite different in how they handle updates I believe. Haven't used liveupdate in... quite some time to say the least. Always went with the manual updates instead due to portability and easier updating on multiple machines.

Edited by Chozo4

personally I use Mcafee VirusScan 4.51 with SP1 which came out in 2001. the latest scan engine for Mcafee (4400) and the latest VirusScan DAT definition updates work with Vscan 4.51 sp1. the SP1 update came out in early 2002. Runs as good as NAV and also fully XP compatible.

dat file for virusscan can be downloaded here:

http://download.mcafee.com/us/updates/4xa.asp

or here (you must click on the "I Agree" button at this site to proceed):

http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/updates/dat.asp?id=1

Scan Engine updates for Mcafee here:

http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/updates/superdat.asp?id=2

see "unofficial and mcafee" topic:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=67198

speaking of NAV, I just helped my longtime friend download the newer version of Norton System works 2006 which includes NAV 2006 after he ordered/purchased it online a few weeks ago. his computer that now has NAV 2006 uses WinXP pro with SP2. after we downloaded NSW/NAV 2006 and installed it, we had to "activate" it, just like how we "activate" XP using the product activation feature.

Heh, interesting. As long as symantec and all the other companies follow microsofts activation scheme...

... we'll be ever closer to having to activate our computer everytime we turn it on.

Have you ever given a go to Antivir ?

I liked that one a lot. Very low on resources and very good tested protection. And free!

But the latest version (7.0) was nothing but trouble, updating almost impossible because of constantly overloaded servers but also a buggy updater. Scanning crashed my system sometimes. Version 6 never ever did that. The worst thing is that when I uninstalled the software it broke my ISP-layer disconnecting me from the internet.....ouch!

I'll wait till they fix this, now forced back to AVGfree from Grisoft.