Update for Windows Update necessary?

Bugs Bunny

I made a new W2k (german) HFSLIP install CD with the february updates included.

I used the files that Tomcats site suggests (selected nearly all -MSXML6 -Update for W2k Server).

http://tomcat76.open-theweb.net/pages/winup/_win2k.html

The first time I started Windows Update (that opens IE) first there was the check if the update software is up to date and there came the message that I should download an update.

In the "Downloaded Program Files" MUWebControl Class got added.

In the file info there was a link:

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...b?1140035921412

the cab contains:

muweb.dll

muweb.cat

muweb.inf -> Microsoft Update muweb.dll ActiveX control

Did I forget something or has anyone got a similar thing?

I did not get this message before.

This time I left out the following updates:

IE6.0sp1-KB896688-Windows-2000-XP-x86-DEU.exe

Windows2000-KB893066-v2-x86-DEU.EXE

Windows2000-KB894320-x86-DEU.EXE

Windows2000-KB894391-x86-DEU.EXE

Windows2000-KB899588-x86-DEU.EXE

Windows2000-KB899591-x86-DEU.EXE

WindowsMedia9-KB885492-x86-DEU.exe

that I previously had put into the HF folder -> Tomcats update site did not list these any more.

Could one of these HF that I left out be the cause?

Well I'm not sure if it is necessary in general now or only because I changed some things in the HFSLIP folders. Maybe it is because I added the HFEXPERT - WU Catalog and Office Update like it's in Tomcats list.

Tomorrow I can use my old HFSLIP setup and have a look if the message appears again.

If so maybe this update should be included.

Filedate of muweb.dll is 26.05.2005 - so it seems to be older.

It's a file that you are supposed to download and install when visiting the Microsoft Update site, which is different from the Windows Update site. Also, when you visit the Microsoft Update site, the link in the Tools menu in MSIE is updated so it goes to the Microsoft Update site instead of the Windows Update site.

I now made a test install with my old january set (wihout the WU Catalog and Office Update) and the update message did not appear. Used HFSLIP_60107.CMD so I had the same as back then.

Now I will try the set from yesterday but without the HFEXPERT (WU Catalog and Office Update) folder. Maybe this has got something to do with it. Will report back later.

I've been including the Windows Update Catalog and Office Update engines for several months now and was never asked to install the engine for Microsoft Update.

However, I haven't tested HFSLIP for the past few days so it's possible MS are finally diverting users from the Office Update to the Microsoft Update site (which, incidentally, displays updates for both Windows and Office). The Microsoft Update site was supposed to replace the Windows Update and Office Update sites in the long run... maybe they "accelerated" the transition for Office.

Just finished the test and got the update message again now without the HFEXPERT included.

Now the only other probable thing could be the DotNet1.1 (silent installer) I included, that I did not use in the old january set.

Tomorrow I will continue testing.

What I noticed as well is that in the newer version of HFSLIP there is kind of a pause after the last file

"Work\I386E\winsrv.dll 1 file copied"

And before the "packing" of the "3.435 files"

There was nothing goining on for some time so I pressed enter - it continued after that but I'm not sure if it was the enter or the "pause" just finished by itself.

Just finished the test and got the update message again now without the HFEXPERT included.
I rewrote the Windows Update section a couple of days back, but I didn't forward the code to TommyP before testing it with each OS and each SP level (2K SP4, XP SP1a, XP SP2, 2K3 Gold and 2K3 SP1). Windows Update just worked the way it should.

How are you accessing the Windows Update site initially, btw?

What I noticed as well is that in the newer version of HFSLIP there is kind of a pause after the last file

"Work\I386E\winsrv.dll 1 file copied"

And before the "packing" of the "3.435 files"

There was nothing goining on for some time so I pressed enter - it continued after that but I'm not sure if it was the enter or the "pause" just finished by itself.

If the "pause" is not accompanied by the message "Press any key to continue" then hitting Enter won't make any difference. I skimmed through the code and couldn't find any pause command that shouldn't be in there...

Thanks Tomcat76 - there is no pause and the windows title says repacking DRIVER.CAB - so everything ok there.

I've investigated the "update issue" further. I removed the dotnet silent installer but the update message still was there.

The next step was to use the same fileset (even including dotnet and HFEXPERT) but with an older version of HFSLIP (HFSLIP_60107.CMD) - the one I used in January where I got no message.

The old version with the new LegitCheckControl.cab gave me a file not found in the initial setup process but otherwise installed fine.

To my surprise after finishing the installation when I entered Windows update I did not get the message.

And all the updates are installed fine with the older version of HFSLIP - MBSA2 says no updates missing.

How are you accessing the Windows Update site initially, btw?

I access via start menu - Start - Windows Update.

Maybe I now can compare the sourcess folder generated by the 2 versions of HFSLIP and look if I can find any difference that could be causing the update message.

I access via start menu - Start - Windows Update.
I haven't used that shortcut in a long time. Maybe the link is different...

Can you do a search?

Files named: *.log

Containing text: au.inf

Search in: C:\WINNT

If any results show up, it means there's a problem with the AU.INF file.

Can you also attach the AU.INF or AU.IN_ file from the SOURCESS\I386 folder that was made with a newer version of HFSLIP?

Edit:

As an additional test...

1) Create a new source with the new version of HFSLIP (or skip this if you still have one)

2) Copy au.inf from the SOURCE\I386 folder into SOURCESS\I386 (overwrite)

3) Install

Edited by Tomcat76