Windows 98SE The BEST !

kartel

The results are in ! Windows 98 Second Edition is Easiest, Fastest, and most Reliable version of Windows EVER !!

I just did a comparison of 98se, 2000Pro SP4 and XPpro SP1 and 98SE came out the winner hands down.

I didnt have to deal with net.framework or optimizing swap files or de-dcom-ing, terminating sevices.

I tried upgrading from 98 and clean installs and all different configerations.

I really think that it's a case of " looks aren't everything "

The results are in ! Windows 98 Second Edition is Easiest, Fastest, and most Reliable version of Windows EVER !!

I just did a comparison of 98se, 2000Pro SP4 and XPpro SP1 and 98SE came out the winner hands down.

I didnt have to deal with net.framework or optimizing swap files or de-dcom-ing, terminating sevices.

I tried upgrading from 98 and clean installs and all different configerations.

I really think that it's a case of " looks aren't everything "

Was this with most games too? I hope so, because I'm thinking about going back to Windows 98 SE, because there's still a lot of 3rd party software available.

Yes especially with games.

Makes the X-Box look stupid

Heres some pictures, my c: drive has 3 fixed files total, the games I have at the moment, and my temperature

when running games it goes to 41-43c max.

Also 98se runs great with no swapfile, hallelujah

screenshot0084ee.gif

screenshot0102qy.gifscreenshot0090qw.th.gif

I agree completely, having had many problems and annoyances with a virgin install of XP SP1. Windows 2000 is alright in terms of annoying features, but lacks security since it has all those services running in the background and listening on ports. It's also slightly sluggish.

If you have a lot of RAM, having no swapfile is fine. Otherwise, set ConservativeSwapFileUsage=1 in WIN.INI and it'll keep everything in RAM unless it completely runs out, only then will it use the swapfile.

Here this may help for you guys needin 98se set up right:

[386Enh]

ebios=*ebios

woafont=dosapp.fon

mouse=*vmouse

device=*dynapage

device=*vcd

device=*vpd

device=*int13

keyboard=*vkd

display=*vdd,*vflatd

EMMExclude=C000-CFFF,C000-CFFF

ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1

32BitDiskAccess=ON

DMABufferSize=64

Paging=on

MinSPs=8

[vcache]

MaxFileCache=524288

Look here too http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&sho...ndpost&p=419023

its no biggy but your EMMExclude=C000-CFFF only needs one C000-CFFF bit

that's a bug that comes (i seen) from installing & unistalling (nvidia) graphics drivers

- it writes behind the old entry but doesn't delete it when unistalled

i've seen like a dozen or so of those entrys after a driver testing session once :o

Edited by miko

It would have been great if Microsoft did release an official service pack for 98SE. Too bad I formatted by hard drive recently and didn't bother re-installing it again.

Windows 98 SE was my favourite OS in the 9x series. It was good because it was able to run almost every game, which was a bonus.

its no biggy but your EMMExclude=C000-CFFF only needs one C000-CFFF bit

that's a bug that comes (i seen) from installing & unistalling (nvidia) graphics drivers

- it writes behind the old entry but doesn't delete it when unistalled

i've seen like a dozen or so of those entrys after a driver testing session once :o

Good call !

Man, I'm surprised Link21 hasn't found this thread yet... though, maybe he's just avoiding it. I do agree that windows 98SE is the best OS to come out of microsoft. It is a shame that most people (the general public) does not understand how to properly configure a 9x box to their advantage (or an XP box for that matter.) Even the XP enthusiasts don't understand how great the OS can be, and the potential that the DOS kernel still has. With all of the updates, bug fixes, and USP, Win98se works better for the average home user than XP or any NT OS ever could.