Trouble unplugging usb stick

lotas

Hi

I've installed maxim decims drivers in my laptop running w98 SE + unofficial service pack . Usb sticks work ok. However, whenever i unplug a stick i get a warning message telling me to use the "hotplug" icon in the status bar to remove the device safely. The issue is that *there is not such icon* :(

I've seen i'm not the only one with this problem. Any ideas?

thanks

what kind of "usb stick" are u using? does the USB stick appear as a "Drive" in Windows Explorer? if it does, right click on it and select Eject. then remove the usb stick.

Edited by erpdude8

what kind of "usb stick" are u using? does the USB stick appear as a "Drive" in Windows Explorer? if it does, right click on it and select Eject. then remove the usb stick.

It's a generic china manufacured flash memory and yes, i did try to eject it. However, it doesn't make any difference to my computer, that keeps popping the unsafe device removal message. It seems to me that the eject option is meant to be used with devices that can physically eject the media, such as a cd-rom or maybe tape storage units.

I've made some research with the Mpio flash mp3 player of my brother that has its own w98 drivers. This drivers work ok and display a safe removal icon in the status bar. According to what i've found at google, this feature has to be provided by the driver programmer (hint, hint :D )

The only way to go seems to be careful when unplugging the usb stick and bear w98's silly warnings :rolleyes:

regards

I think the maxim decims drivers need to be revised to display the safe removal icon on the bottom-right hand corner of the windows taskbar when using any usb flash drive.

maximus-decim should be able to fix this problem with his drivers.

Edited by erpdude8

I think the maxim decims drivers need to be revised to display the safe removal icon on the bottom-right hand corner of the windows taskbar when using any usb flash drive.

maximus-decim should be able to fix this problem with his drivers.

I see no problem with nUSB2.2 - safe removal icon always appear in the bottom-right hand corner when this driver is intalled to the newly installed W98SE.

I've seen this problem with very old W98SE installation with many proprietary USB storage device drivers already installed. Removing all of them /as required in the installation guide) helped and the green arrow tray icon started to appear as expected.

Petr

well there you have it, lotas. follow Petr's advice and the Safe Removal icon displayed as a green arrow should appear on the taskbar next to the clock.

Hi

As they say, 'problem in chair, not in computer' :) . I thought i had uninstalled the (useless) drivers that my usb manufacturer provides in their web. However, after searching for each individual file, the files were still there (.pdr. sys..). - i wonder what the uninstall option was for!. Then, reinstalled maxim decims drivers, but it didn't work. I guess i'll have to resintall everything to get it the right way

thanks & regards

Hi

As they say, 'problem in chair, not in computer' :) . I thought i had uninstalled the (useless) drivers that my usb manufacturer provides in their web. However, after searching for each individual file, the files were still there (.pdr. sys..). - i wonder what the uninstall option was for!. Then, reinstalled maxim decims drivers, but it didn't work. I guess i'll have to resintall everything to get it the right way

thanks & regards

whoever provided those "usb stick" drivers for your usb stick devices sure didnt do a good job writing them. delete the PDR and SYS files that were left over (and maybe the registry entries that reference those "useless" drivers), then reinstall from scratch.

whoever provided those "usb stick" drivers for your usb stick devices sure didnt do a good job writing them. delete the PDR and SYS files that were left over (and maybe the registry entries that reference those "useless" drivers), then reinstall from scratch.

Hi

I've solved the 'mistery', just by chance.It's a bit odd, but this is what happened:

I had a 33.6 pcmcia modem installed that i didn't plan to use at all, so after installing w98SE, i took it out and, in the control panel, changed the pcmcia options son that the pcmcia icon didn't show up in the status bar.

Then i installed maxim decims drivers and all the things related above happened, including removal of any remaining pdr and sys files from other non working drivers.

Yesterday i was installing an ethernet pcmcia card, so i changed again the pcmcia options in the control panel so that the icon showed up in the status bar, and clicked apply.

As expected, the icon appeared again, but instead of the original pcmcia-card icon (the one that i saw when i first installed w98SE), it was the 'safe hardware removal' icon, the one with the green arrow.

When clicking on that icon the windows shown is labelled 'unplug o eject devices', and both pcmcia and usb device are listed.

So , for some reason, in w98 pcmcia devices and usb sticks are related when it comes to unplugging.

Hope this helps anyone in the future. Many thanks to everyone!

regards

• 4 months later...

You might want to consider getting an external USB floppy drive/media card reader combo like IOMagic's DataStation and put the USB stick into a closet. IOMagic's external USB floppy drive and multi-card reader can read Compact Flash cards, IBM Micro drives, Memory Sticks, Multimedia Cards, Secure Digital Cards and Floppy Disks. It's a small portable 7-in-1 external device. I recently bought it at a local Staples store. WinME and WinXP have built-in drivers for IOMagic's Datastation drive. Using it under Win98 & Win2000 will require IOMagic's USB Floppy drive and Card Reader drivers to make it work. If you are using it under Win98/ME, you can disconnect the device by using the Safe Removal icon; under Win2k/XP it can just be unplugged from the usb port.

great for connecting to new laptop & desktop PCs that no longer have built-in floppy disk drives.

Edited by erpdude8

You might want to consider getting an external USB floppy drive/media card reader combo

great for connecting to new laptop & desktop PCs that no longer have built-in floppy disk drives.

Please be careful - at least my Mitsumi USB Floppy disk drive (D353FUE) is not compatible with Windows 98 SE nUSB driver, it causes blue screen only. I works well with Windows Me (no driver) or with Windows 98 SE and Mitsumi supplied driver.

I have no other USB floppy to confirm whether this is a problem of just this type or for more types.

Petr

Edited by Petr

Please be careful - at least my Mitsumi USB Floppy disk drive (D353FUE) is not compatible with Windows 98 SE nUSB driver, it causes blue screen only. I works well with Windows Me (no driver) or with Windows 98 SE and Mitsumi supplied driver.

I have no other USB floppy to confirm whether this is a problem of just this type or for more types.

Petr

My IOMagic Datastation USB floppy drive/media card reader device also uses Mitsumi USB Floppy drivers for Win98fe/Win98se and does NOT work well with nUSB drivers; the Mitsumi USB floppy drivers should display the Safe Removal icon on the system tray. Do NOT use nUSB drivers on ANY USB Floppy Drive.

My IOMagic Datastation USB floppy drive/media card reader device also uses Mitsumi USB Floppy drivers for Win98fe/Win98se and does NOT work well with nUSB drivers; the Mitsumi USB floppy drivers should display the Safe Removal icon on the system tray. Do NOT use nUSB drivers on ANY USB Floppy Drive.

Unfortunately you may see many of them as explicitly SUPPORTED by nUSB even in the newest nusb 2.3 athough I several times wrote in the nusb forum that it does not work.

Microsoft.Mfg	 = "Microsoft"
;No Support
USB\VID_03F3&PID_0001.DeviceDesc = "Please install manufacturer supplied driver"
USB\VID_0411&PID_0001.DeviceDesc = "Please install manufacturer supplied driver"
USB\VID_054C&PID_0012.DeviceDesc = "Please install manufacturer supplied driver"
USB\VID_084B&PID_A001.DeviceDesc = "Please install manufacturer supplied driver"

Mitsumi.Mfg = "Mitsumi Electronics, Corp."
USB\VID_03EE&PID_0000.DeviceDesc = "Mitsumi USB CD-R/RW Drive"
USB\VID_03EE&PID_6901.DeviceDesc = "Mitsumi USB Floppy"

HP.Mfg = "Hewlett-Packard"
USB\VID_03F0&PID_0107.DeviceDesc = "HP USB CD-Writer Plus"
USB\VID_03F0&PID_2001.DeviceDesc = "HP USB Floppy"
USB\VID_03F0&PID_4002.DeviceDesc = "Hewlett-Packard Digital Camera"
USB\VID_03F0&PID_6102.DeviceDesc = "Hewlett-Packard Digital Camera"

NEC.Mfg = "NEC Systems"
USB\VID_0409&PID_002C.DeviceDesc = "NEC Clik!-USB Drive"
USB\VID_0409&PID_0040.DeviceDesc = "NEC USB Floppy"

SMSC.Mfg = "Standard Microsystems Corporation"
USB\VID_0424&PID_0FDC.DeviceDesc = "SMSC USB Floppy"

There should be "Please install manufacturer supplied driver" for them.

Petr

Edited by Petr

I use a different generic USB Mass Storage driver that doesn't show any icon either, but it works fine if I just remove the drive.

I can unplug the IOMagic Datastation USB device without using safe removal icon and it'll be okay but only under Win2000/XP. If I do this under Win98/ME, a warning message will say that the device was unplugged before it was stopped.