Holy heat!

Vitalix

Hey all,

Just fired up an Intel 531 (3.0GHz) CPU in an Aopen EX915 chassis I got on Ebay (paid $200 for both). Threw in a X800XL card for some gaming and a SATA drive. Nice little system, but holy cr@p does it get hot!

I'm used to my Athlon64 idling at 29C and 48C at full load after hours. This thing is 54C idle and hits 76C at load running 3DMark05! Craziness. Shooting the fan up to full drops the idle to about 42C, but load is still at 65C. Sound like a server at that level.

Do people on this forum have any of the 5x1 series Pentiums (the EM64T models)? Are they all that hot?

Also, Windows 64 is truly disappointing. Explorer runs pretty quick, as does some zipping and unzipping, but no driver support anywhere, for like anything! Can't run Call of Duty 2, can't even load the Realtek Audio drivers. Far Cry has the x64 patch, but thaz all I could find.

Back to XP 32 bit, the tried and tested.

What heatsink/fan are you using? Have you used a proper quantity of thermal compound?

P4s do run hot, but there's no need to worry about overheating, they automatically reduce the clock speed as the temperature nears the fixed setpoint which is probably 76° for your CPU (check the Intel datasheet to be sure exactly). In this way, performance will decrease drastically. If the temperature reaches ~120°C it will automatically shut off completely.

pal dunno worry I have one

with the stock fan same occured 2 me :)

U know 531 showed u a cooler side of Pentium

Its successors like 955 has lots more

in a extremetech.com review Pentium 4 955 with stock cooling

got up to 100c with standby of 85c

so be happy of being in cooler side :)

thats why i hate intel. there is an upside, it can heat your house in the winter. i wonder how water cooling would be with an intel proc with the voltage cranked. the water might boil.... lol

Actually, non-Opteron Athlon chips have a tendency to run hot too. At least when OC'ed. This is why people want the Opteron ones. Because they have lower Vcore requirements then the regular ones.

Well if your Intel box is using different fans & case of course you're going to see different heat. Traditionally P4 is cooler than AthlonXP, I don't know how the Athlon64's compare though and I have heard all the newest P4s produce a lot of heat nowadays.

A fan's cooling abilities are directly related to the size & speed, which of course affect sound. So if this box is quieter with the same number & size of fans, then of course it will be hotter.

My best advice don't listen to the majority of PC people, they all obsess on how cool it is. Personally I believe the louder a setup is, the lamer it is (and the more deafly ignorant the user is). I want my box as quiet as possibly, which means I ran it on the hotter side (it won't affect the lifespan as long as you stay below the 80c zone).

Also 3DMark is the most intensive application and will stress your system more than any game, so expect serious temp load, but as long as you're idling at 60c or less and full load below 80c, there isn't a problem.

Since with new P4 (LGA775) intel ships with speed controlled fan bcoz of ppl complain about noise coming frm fan

so the fan runs at 1200 to 1300 rpm at normal conditions

it piches up to 3500rpm when some Processor hungry apps comes

however it s/m is VERY stable at all these heating conditions

ps: i am planning 2 build P4 coffemaker !!!! :D