Old IDE NTFS in new system?

So I've finally upgraded my computer. What I need to know is after I install my new HD (WD 250GB SATA2) and install XP Pro and get it up and running, can I add my older HD which had XP Pro (NTFS 80GB) on without formatting it again? Essentially, I'd like to simply plug it in to access those files.

-Just double checking in case something goes wrong. I cannot lose those older files.

Using:

Athlon 64 3200

K8Neo4 Platinum

1GB RAM

As long as you have an open IDE connector (which you probably do) and can specify the boot order in the BIOS you shouldn't have any problems. :)

I would, however, recommend copying off the data you know you need and reformatting the drive. This will make sure you get rid of any files you don't need anymore (i.e. the Windows files and all the old applications...those will have to be reinstalled anyway).

I would, however, recommend copying off the data you know you need and reformatting the drive. This will make sure you get rid of any files you don't need anymore (i.e. the Windows files and all the old applications...those will have to be reinstalled anyway).

Good plan. What I'll do is get the files burned to CD, then do the reformat on the old drive. Unfortunately I don't have a burner on the old system to do this now; will the old XP files interfere with the new HD XP install until I do this reformat? I can't see this being a problem as long as I don't install both drives at the same time.

Nah, they won't interfere with anything other than taking up extra space. You don't even have to waste CDs burning data from the old drive. Just create a "backup" folder on the new 250GB drive and copy the files you need over to it. Not only will it save you some CDs but it'll be much faster.

• 1 month later...

Ok, it's been a month and believe it or not I'm now just getting a chance to follow through on these instructions. What can I say; work sucks.

Before I go ahead, what is the absolute first thing to do after booting up for the first time? Everything is recognized in the BIOS (thankfully) including the CD drive. Is it just a matter of throwing in the XP cd and letting it format the drive or do I use some disk utility before the OS? After the format and when XP is installed, is this the time to install all the included drivers (on cd) for the hardware? Do I trust the cd drivers or go with the xp versions for now? Of course, once I'm actually online I'll download the current ones.

-Just making sure I do everything in the proper sequence as it's the first system I've built and I don't want to backtrack..

You're talking about installing to the new WD 250GB, correct?

You can create your partition and format it during the XP install...no need to use anything but the XP CD. If you haven't created an Unattended XP CD you'll probably be required to manually add your hard drive controller drivers during the text mode part of setup. To do this download the required drivers and put them on a floppy...start the install and press F6 when it prompts you (immediately when the "blue screen" shows up). It'll get to a point where it'll ask for your hard drive controller drivers...just specify and go from there.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

Well, here's as far as I got, right after the XP was to reboot for the last stage of its setup:

STOP: C0000218 {Registry File Failure}

The registry cannot load the hive (file):

\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE

or its log or alternate.

It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Beginning dump of physical memory

Any clue on how to proceed? I've tried rebooting and reinstalling with the same results..

I wouldn't go for a reinstall of XP on the new hard drive if the old install was working well.

I'd just copy *all* the files over to the new hard drive while it's connected as a slave, fix the bootsector/bootloader, then shut down and reconnect them so that the new one is primary, and reboot.

It worked for me when I migrated from a 40Gb drive to a 120Gb one. It just booted normally as if nothing had happened.

I highly recommend that if you're doing a motherboard upgrade that you reinstall Windows. Differences drivers required for various chipsets can make all the difference in the world between a stable system and one that crashes hourly. The only time I wouldn't do a reinstall on a motherboard change is if it's a direct replacement of the same motherboard from an RMA or something.

As for the error, see the following knowledge base article. Hopefully it'll help you...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=830084

If not a Google search for C0000218 {Registry File Failure} returned quite a few hits.