CD Burner Problem

Hello all I have a client that has a problem with his CD/RW drive. He is running Windows 98SE and this drive will not read a store bought disk but it will read any disk that has been burnt. So I am puzzled at this one. I have had drives not read a burnt disk before but never a drive that wont read a store bought disk. Is it just that the CD ROM is dying? :wacko::}

How many discs have you tried?

Somewhere around 90 -100 different disk. lol Like I said I have never run into this problem before. It will not even read the original Windows 98SE disk that came with the computer. We could not even get it to read a regular music disk. :wacko::}

Well what gets me is this same cd drive used to play the same disk that I have tried. The Windows 98 disk that came with the computer used to play in this drive and now it dont even see that the disk is in the drive. I can put a disk that I have burnt in the drive and there is no problem. So I am inclined to believe that it is something other then some disk copy protection. I think I have talked him into buying a new cd burner or even a whole new computer. (I think that if a computer is still running Windows 98 it is well time to upgrade to the now times instead of living in the past times)

I have to agree, if you can't read your Win98 disk either, it's most likely the drive is failing. Considering NewEgg sells CD/DVD combo writers for like $35 or less, you should hook him up with something affordable but still good.

The only reason I didn't want to say the drive was failing last time because it sounded like it was a recently purchased game.

As far as Win98, well on one hand I agree, I'm a hardcore XP guy, but many people on this board swear by Win98SE, especially after you install uSP2 which is housed on this forum under the Win98 section.

But then it is your job to fix & sell computers, so I can't blame you for recommending the upgrade :)

Well, if it isn't that, then it's probably not a software issue and therefore must be a hardware issue.

It might not be a drive failure, but as others have mentioned, at the cost of DVD writers these days, further investigation isn't worth the time or effort.

Thats what I thought also. I just thought that maybe someone else might have ran into this problem before. It was a first for me and I have been doing computer repair for over 8 years now. It just tripped me out that it would read a burnt disk and not a commerical disk.

Well, not every disk is manufactured the same... and naturally CD-Rs aren't fabricated as well as say, a disk from Microsoft.

There's always potential for deviations in the substrate, outer casing, or even the orientation of the disk. Weight also plays a factor in stability when the disk is rotating.

Well, not every disk is manufactured the same... and naturally CD-Rs aren't fabricated as well as say, a disk from Microsoft.

There's always potential for deviations in the substrate, outer casing, or even the orientation of the disk. Weight also plays a factor in stability when the disk is rotating.

No... no...

Recordable media is composed of special chemicals that are altered during the "burning" process while original disks such as from Microsoft are stamped with the data contained on them.