Removed MFU from start menu, now I regret it

tivac

I went ahead and ticked the nlite checkbox to remove the Most Frequently Used programs section form the start menu without really realizing what it did. I've since reformatted and installed XP via that CD, and now have come to appreciate just how often I really used that list. I've been trawling the net trying to find suggestions as to how nlite might've disabled it, but I haven't been able to figure out what was done.

Here's the sites I tried:

Am I just screwed or is there something I might've missed?

Could it be possible that the number of items to list was just set to zero and the list cleared?

To be frank, I've never seen a purpose for a "frequently used programs list" or even the quick launch bar, for that matter.

After all, desktop items are just as easily accessible, if not moreso.

try this :

Delete the NoStartMenuMFUprogramsList & NoInstrumentation values in the following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer

Backup the registry before modifying.

i have not tried it my self, but i think it will solve the problem.

• 2 months later...
try this :

Delete the NoStartMenuMFUprogramsList & NoInstrumentation values in the following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer

Worked for me !

Thanks a lot!

But :), it only worked on one of my two WinXP Pro installations. Both are nLite, but one is heavily optimized for professional audio and music production (as many services as possible turned off, registry editings and more). The music WinXP's MFU list would not work whatsoever.

Any ideas? Maybe re-enabling a service will solve the problem?

Thanks! :yes:

If you can't get it fixed, one alternative is to just right drag & drop any relevant shortcut (exe, URL, etc.) into your working folder. I've been doing this for a long time and will never go back to menus. Also great for cross referencing and for slimming down the favorites / bookmarks folder.

• 1 year later...
try this :

Worked for me !

Thanks a lot!

But :), it only worked on one of my two WinXP Pro installations. Both are nLite, but one is heavily optimized for professional audio and music production (as many services as possible turned off, registry editings and more). The music WinXP's MFU list would not work whatsoever.

Any ideas? Maybe re-enabling a service will solve the problem?

Thanks! :yes:

Thanks man its work :thumbup

NoInstrumentation value