Winamp 5.13 fix for older WinAmp versions (ex: 2.x)

TravisO

For those who don't know, the in_mp3.dll was the ONLY change in Winamp 5.12 -> 5.13 for the "critical security fix".

So all you really need to have "secure" MP3 playing is to just update your in_mp3.dll, which I am providing a link for below. Now, no matter which version of WinAmp you use, you can use of this update to protect yourself (that goes for you Winamp 2.x users too!).

http://rhelik.lehost.net/Files/in_mp3.zip

Take that file and unzip it to:

C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins\

I have tested this on Winamp 2.91 and it works great, and I expect it to work on almost any version of Winamp.

-----------------------------

UPDATE - 2/11/06

I have extracted the in_mp3.dll from WinAmp 5.2 beta which adds support for gapless MP3 playback (no more hickups between songs) and some other minor features. As above, this is totally backward compatible with WinAmp 2.x and 5.x so you might as well reap the benefits.

http://rhelik.lehost.net/Files/in_mp3_5.2_beta_427.zip

If you still use WinAmp 2.x's defalt MP3 playback you're living in the stone age, get this now, you'll get better sound quality, less CPU usage and more features.

I'm thinking about extracting all of the newer plugins and packaging them into a simple installer that way you can get the benefits of all the music formats in WinAmp.

Edited by travisowens

Thanks for the link. I initially wasn't even aware of a security issue in winamp actually. One thing I noticed, most (if not all) of the winamp 5 plugs work on winamp 2 so you're definately correct about the in_mp3.dll working on winamp 2 and others.

most (if not all) of the winamp 5 plugs work on winamp 2
You are correct and I should have mentioned that. Stealing the in_???.dll's from WinAmp5 is an easy way to improve your older WinAmp setup. You'll get higher quality playback, bug fixes and improved file compatibility. I see that Winamp 5.12 added the ability to play protected WMA files and I'm curious if that would backport to 2.x by copying the in_wma.dll

most (if not all) of the winamp 5 plugs work on winamp 2
You are correct and I should have mentioned that. Stealing the in_???.dll's from WinAmp5 is an easy way to improve your older WinAmp setup. You'll get higher quality playback, bug fixes and improved file compatibility. I see that Winamp 5.12 added the ability to play protected WMA files and I'm curious if that would backport to 2.x by copying the in_wma.dll

I'm not sure what you mean by 'protected wma' not being playable. I've played WMA's that require licencing fine on my winamp 2.9x install without a problem. Unless owever you meant another form of protection.

Interesting tip: Microsoft flushes the copy license count periodically it seems. I had some WMA's which overran the licence count. Held onto them only to find a couple weeks later I could then get a license for them once again.

pssst . . . . there's a 2.95 y'know
WinAmp 2.95 (and 2.92) were never released because they are actually WinAmp 5 betas. If you want to be a 2.x purist then run 2.91, which is the real last version of 2.x

If you are going to run 2.95 then you might as well download 5.13 and admit you're running 5.x and get all the features finished.

Edited by travisowens