OCZ Value RAM + Heatsinks

DKRendeR

Basic thermodynamics tells us that air has a lower gradient for thermal transfer than aluminum, copper, or any other metal for that matter. How removing the only element keeping your memory from dying is going to help your situation is beyond me, but I strongly suggest you look elsewhere for the solution.

It's very possible that your motherboard's PLL(otherwise known as the clock generator) could be overclocking your memory in accordance with your FSB.

If this is the case, your processor, memory, FSB(and possibly your southbridge, along with any AGP and/or PCI cards) are generating more heat than they would usually. This is potentially fatal for a system in relatively cramped quarters. I would definitely recommend re-assessing your airflow constraints and alleviating them accordingly.

What in the world are you talking about? Thermodynamics? PLL? Do you sit there with a computer manual reading out the glossary? Nothing you sade made much sense at all.

The case is obviously simply cramped, generating lots of heat and requiring so sort of extra cooling. And on top of that, you didn't even answer his question.

'High "performace"' RAM shouldn't run any hotter than normal RAM, nor should they need to be fan-cooled. There has been reported many problems with the Ballistix series though...

i dont understand. the reason to get high performance ram is for overclocking it like crazy. bh-5 likes 3.2v and that stuff gets HOT. ram cooling is extremely important if you pump up the volts on it. i dont need it since im on stock voltage yet still overclocked to 260mhz for my ram. people even watercool their ram.

He did not specify whether or not he was overclocking or overvolting his RAM. Even "high performance" RAM running at stock voltage and speed will not heat up very much. If you overclock or overvolt generic standard RAM it will also output more heat as well. Edited by LLXX

Ballistix memory does run warm, in mine and in other systems as i used to build PC's with that memory in.

It's not unstable just warm. (not overcloked at all)

Also, why dont you try running Memtest86 for a bit, then you will see any memory will get warm when heavily used.

The Ballisitx I have run warm, but they are at 270FSB.

If you overclock your CPU, and do not run a memory divider, guess what, you are overclocking your memory.

My DFI just hit 300 on the FSB, but my TCCD OCZ Plat Rev-2 memory cannot keep up, it is divided at 265MHz right now. AT stock, they are cool to the touch. At 265, they are quite warm, not quite hot. They are at 2.7V.

Biggest cause of heat is voltage. Check your processes too, are you running something memory intensive in the background?

Edited by Vitalix