AdminStudio7 DL from MS!

thuun derboy

MS forgot to mention one thing, it's not fully functional. :wacko:

It detected Adminstudio6 on my clean 'packaging' partition and told me the trial period was up and shut off when I didn't supply the serial.

HOWEVER, the repackager works after this, and IS fully functional. B)

In the area of 250-350mb (depending on version) this app is huge. I use little else than the repackager and may rip it and do a 7z ss. Repackager has it's own setup file. More than a modual, its not requesting any key and displays my name as owmer. I believe no violation has occurred.

let's see about editor...

Edited by thuun derboy

It also appears to include the Tuner program, which I also use from time to time. Unfortunately I don't believe it has the .msi editor which I use on a daily basis. And ORCA just doesn't quite cut it for me. What I may end up doing is installing this on my laptop and AdminStudio 6 on my desktop. I primarily use my laptop, but I'm constantly terminal serviced into my desktop. Not the most elegant solution, but I guess it'll work.

Looks like a client will be purchasing Admin Studio 7 for me - possibly. Cool :) Only problem is I've never used it or InstallShield before, so I'm dropping into this hot.

Can you guys point me to a good couple of tutorials ? I would want to see something about building a medium sized app from scratch, and one for rebuilding/redesigning an existing .msi.

I'm starting to google now, but there is a ton of, well, not so good stuff out there. Experience from the trenches counts for so much more.

TIA

D.

I don't think I could tell you the first thing about building an install for an application from scratch. As far as repacking or direct .msi editing goes, I really learned almost everything on my own. And it took a long time and I'm sure I've only scratched the surface too. I am working on a guide to repackaging applications with the InstallShield Repackager. It will probably be a couple weeks or so before I can post it. It's really a difficult topic to cover in detail and I'm attempting to break it up into more easily digested portions.

I could see them possibly doing something like that for enterprise SMS licensees, but not for Windows Server 2003. AdminStudio is $4,000 for the professional version. It's not quite like throwing Nero in with a DVD burner.

• 2 months later...