Windows ME/98 audio problem...

Nakatomi2010

Alright, here's the deal...

One upon a time I decided that the fastest way to install Windows 98/ME would be to install it on one system, get all the updates and software, reboot the system into safe mode, delete the num key in the registry, then make a Ghost image, this in effect makes Windows think it's the first boot all over again, kind of...

However, there was one issue which occasionally cropped up I was never able to solve. After SUCESSFULLY installing the audio drivers, no conflicts, nothing, the audio wont work. The ONLY thing that's noticeable as to why the audio wont work is that it is not listed in the preferred Audio devices, and I can't figure out how to fix it. I've googled, and googled, and then googled some more and have just NOT been able to find the solution on how to fix it.

I'm not the only one who has this problem either, others have and it's always gone unresolved....

And it's not just because of my Ghosting method... I've got a machine behind me right now that play audio, despite the proper drivers being installed, it's running Windows ME...

Any ideas on how to fix this? I REALLY want to find a solution...

Edit: I suspect a .dll error, so which DLLs would I need to try "restoring" to an older version?

Edit2: I did a tried Google one more time and chose my search line carefully, I search "preferred audio device grayed out" anf found this page and if you scroll all the way down you'll find this KB article, which though not entirely related, does solve the problem.

Essentially you open the system.ini file and under the [bOOT] section, add "drivers=mmsystem.dll" without the "'s, then reboot the system and it works....

Edited by Nakatomi2010

Essentially you open the system.ini file and under the [bOOT] section, add "drivers=mmsystem.dll" without the "'s, then reboot the system and it works....

lol, i used to reinstall drivers countless times, restored system.ini, win.ini and the whole registry from the backups until it worked... thanks for the info :)

next time you do a copy use this:

Data Lifeguard Tools 11 for Windows http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?...&pid=999&swid=1

After installing Data Lifeguard Tools 11 for Windows, follow these steps to backup your hard drive:

1. Select the Drive-to-Drive Copy option.
  2. On the next screen select the drive you'd like to copy in your Source Path and the drive you'd like to use as the target as the Destination Path and click Start.
  3. The drive copy will complete and once it is done you can exit the software and shut down the computer. You can remove the original hard drive at this point

Edited by kartel

Data Lifeguard Tools 11 for Windows http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?...&pid=999&swid=1

After installing Data Lifeguard Tools 11 for Windows, follow these steps to backup your hard drive:

2. On the next screen select the drive you'd like to copy in your Source Path and the drive you'd like to use as the target as the Destination Path and click Start.
  3. The drive copy will complete and once it is done you can exit the software and shut down the computer. You can remove the original hard drive at this point

I'm not entirely sure you understand what it is I was doing...

I wasn't making a drive to drive copy, I was making an "generic" image so that I could install it on any other system. Since I was not always installing it on the same system the drivers would be constantly changing, so I don't think this would do it for me...

No I haven't redone my ghost image for preliminary testing of the method, I just don't have the time lately...

I'm not entirely sure you understand what it is I was doing...

I wasn't making a drive to drive copy, I was making an "generic" image so that I could install it on any other system. Since I was not always installing it on the same system the drivers would be constantly changing, so I don't think this would do it for me...

No I haven't redone my ghost image for preliminary testing of the method, I just don't have the time lately...

OK, sorry, I guess you dont want to be dragging a harddrive wherever you go, but if you do it would work, just re-copy itself to the new computers drive because the lifeguaurd tool is there after the clone.

I find it really works good on 98 and also make sure to disconnect the net and disable the start up items like firewall and stuff and reboot it wont copy a live file like that, it usually copies every file exect for index.dat's which aren't important

Other than that I'd say

soundcard:

1-is it onboard ?

2-is it enabled or disabled in the bios ?

3-is it jumpered on the borad ?

4-is it a pci\isa soundcard ?

5-is onboard sound diabled in the bios ?

6-is it a sound blaster ?

7-is that enabled in the bios ?

Did you go safemode and tear all the ghost drivers INCLUDING the sound drivers, that way you will be prompted to re-install on the next reboot. Just dont delete all the codecs just the 3 that belong the the card

Actually now that I think about it I might have some useful info. The audio problem didnt start (atleast not that I remember) until I updated the hardware in the computer that I built the base image on, and once that happended I rebuilt the image from scratch just to be safe. The difference audio wise from the first setup to the second setup was the first hardware build involved an ISA soundblaster awe32, and the second was the onboard sound that comes with the asus a7s8x-mx. I really cant say anything else at the moment because I dont have a computer to test 98se on (been out of the 98se scene for a while because of it). Im picking up a new motherboard and cpu on Monday, so I should be back to having a dedicated 98se machine shortly. Once that happens I will try to verify what I said about the ghost image from the older hardware build NOT having problems with preferred audio device.

Edited by ssmokee