Please Help with First Attempt at UnAttended

i have installed Virtual Pc but it is about 2 hours just to install windows.

What I want to know is I have used bts driver pack. How do I know if this is installed correctly as virtual windows windows seems to only use s3 for graphics.

also when windows installs it doesn't seem to initialize installing the apps I have setup. A few apps to start with then I will expand.

I will copy my winnt with key missing below and my runonce file

; Generated by nLite 1.0 RC3

[Data]

Autopartition = 0

MsDosInitiated = 0

UnattendedInstall = Yes

[unattended]

NonDriverSigningPolicy = "Ignore"

DriverSigningPolicy = "Ignore"

OemPreinstall = "Yes"

OemPnPDriversPath =

"D\C\A;D\C\AM\1;D\C\AM\2;D\C\AM\3;D\C\AM\4;D\C\AM\5;D\C\AM\6;D\C\AM\7;D\C\AT;D\C\AU;D\C\I;D\

C\IT;D\C\N;D\C\V;D\CPU;D\G\A\1;D\G\A\1\M;D\G\A\1\WDM;D\G\N;D\G\N\M;D\L\3\1;D\L\3\2;D\L\3\3;D

\L\AM;D\L\AU;D\L\B;D\L\BU\1;D\L\BU\2;D\L\BU\3;D\L\C\1;D\L\C\2;D\L\C\4;D\L\CO\1;D\L\CO\2;D\L\

CO\3;D\L\CO\4;D\L\CO\5;D\L\D\1;D\L\D\2;D\L\D\3;D\L\D\4;D\L\D\5;D\L\D\6;D\L\D\7;D\L\D\8;D\L\I

;D\L\IN;D\L\L\1;D\L\L\2;D\L\L\3;D\L\L\3\B;D\L\L\4;D\L\L\5;D\L\LI\1;D\L\LI\2;D\L\LI\3;D\L\LI\

4;D\L\LI\5;D\L\LI\6;D\L\LI\7;D\L\M;D\L\MI;D\L\N\1;D\L\N\2;D\L\N\3;D\L\N\4;D\L\N\5;D\L\N\6;D\

L\N\7;D\L\N\8;D\L\NV;D\L\NV\O;D\L\O\1;D\L\O\2;D\L\O\3;D\L\O\4;D\L\O\5;D\L\O\6;D\L\O\7;D\L\O\

8;D\L\R\1;D\L\R\2;D\L\S\1;D\L\S\2;D\L\SM\1;D\L\SM\2;D\L\SM\3;D\L\SM\4;D\L\SM\5;D\L\SM\6;D\L\

SM\7;D\L\SM\8;D\L\SM\9;D\L\SU\1;D\L\SU\2;D\L\SU\3;D\L\SU\4;D\L\SU\5;D\L\SU\6;D\L\SU\7;D\L\SU

\8;D\L\SU\9;D\L\SU\A;D\L\SU\B;D\L\T;D\L\U\1;D\L\U\2;D\L\U\3;D\L\U\4;D\L\U\5;D\L\V\1;D\L\V\2;

D\L\V\3;D\L\X;D\M\3\1;D\M\3\2;D\M\3\3;D\M\A\1;D\M\A\2;D\M\A\3;D\M\A\4;D\M\A\5;D\M\A\6;D\M\A\

7;D\M\A\8;D\M\AD\1;D\M\AD\2;D\M\AD\3;D\M\AD\4;D\M\AD\5;D\M\AD\6;D\M\AD\6\C;D\M\AD\7;D\M\AD\8

;D\M\AD\9;D\M\AD\A;D\M\AM;D\M\AR;D\M\AT;D\M\AU\1;D\M\AU\2;D\M\AU\3;D\M\AU\4;D\M\D;D\M\H\1;D\

M\H\1\R;D\M\H\2;D\M\H\3;D\M\H\4;D\M\H\5;D\M\I\1;D\M\I\2;D\M\IN\1;D\M\IN\2;D\M\IT;D\M\L\1;D\M

\L\2;D\M\L\3;D\M\L\4;D\M\N\123;D\M\N\4A;D\M\N\4AR;D\M\N\4I;D\M\N\4IR;D\M\P\1;D\M\P\2;D\M\P\2

\A;D\M\P\3;D\M\P\4;D\M\P\5;D\M\P\6;D\M\P\7;D\M\P\8;D\M\Q\1;D\M\Q\2;D\M\Q\3;D\M\Q\4;D\M\S\1;D

\M\S\2;D\M\S\3;D\M\S\4;D\M\S\5;D\M\S\6;D\M\S\7;D\M\S\8;D\M\S\9;D\M\S\A;D\M\S\B;D\M\S\C;D\M\S

I\1;D\M\SI\2;D\M\SI\3;D\M\V\1;D\M\V\2;D\M\VM;D\S\CR\1;D\S\CR\2;D\S\CR\3\Win2k_xp;D\S\N;D\S\R

;D\S\R\HD;D\S\V;D\W\3\1;D\W\3\2;D\W\3\3;D\W\3\4;D\W\3\5;D\W\3\6;D\W\3\7;D\W\A;D\W\AI\1;D\W\A

I\2;D\W\AS;D\W\AT\H;D\W\AT\I;D\W\B\1;D\W\B\2;D\W\B\3;D\W\B\4;D\W\B\5;D\W\B\5\3;D\W\B\6;D\W\B

\7;D\W\B\8;D\W\B\9;D\W\B\A;D\W\BL\1;D\W\BL\2;D\W\BL\3;D\W\BL\4;D\W\BL\5;D\W\BL\6;D\W\BL\7;D\

W\BL\8;D\W\BL\9;D\W\BU\1;D\W\BU\2;D\W\BU\4;D\W\BU\5;D\W\BU\7;D\W\BU\8;D\W\BU\9;D\W\BU\A;D\W\

C\1;D\W\C\2;D\W\CO\1;D\W\CO\2;D\W\CO\3;D\W\CO\4;D\W\CO\5;D\W\CO\6;D\W\CR\1;D\W\CR\2;D\W\CR\3

;D\W\CR\4;D\W\D\1;D\W\D\2;D\W\D\2\A;D\W\D\2\D;D\W\D\2\E;D\W\D\2\F;D\W\D\3;D\W\D\3\C;D\W\D\3\

D;D\W\D\3\E;D\W\D\4;D\W\D\4\K;D\W\D\4\L;D\W\D\4\M;D\W\D\4\P;D\W\D\5;D\W\D\6;D\W\D\7;D\W\D\8;

D\W\D\9;D\W\D\A;D\W\D\B;D\W\D\B\B;D\W\D\C;D\W\D\C\C;D\W\D\D;D\W\D\D\B;D\W\D\E;D\W\D\E\B;D\W\

D\E\C;D\W\DE;D\W\E\1;D\W\E\2;D\W\E\3;D\W\E\4;D\W\E\5;D\W\E\6;D\W\E\7;D\W\E\8;D\W\E\9;D\W\E\A

;D\W\E\B;D\W\E\C;D\W\E\D;D\W\E\E;D\W\E\F;D\W\E\G;D\W\E\H;D\W\E\I;D\W\E\J;D\W\EN\1;D\W\EN\2;D

\W\G\1;D\W\G\2;D\W\I\1;D\W\I\2;D\W\I\3;D\W\I\4;D\W\I\5;D\W\I\6;D\W\L\1;D\W\L\2;D\W\L\3;D\W\L

\3\2;D\W\L\4;D\W\L\5;D\W\L\6\3;D\W\L\6\A;D\W\L\7;D\W\L\8;D\W\L\9;D\W\L\9\2;D\W\L\A;D\W\L\B;D

\W\L\C;D\W\L\C\2;D\W\L\C\26;D\W\L\C\3;D\W\L\C\4;D\W\L\C\A;D\W\L\D;D\W\L\E;D\W\L\E\4;D\W\L\E\

A;D\W\L\F;D\W\M;D\W\MI;D\W\MIN\1;D\W\MIN\2;D\W\N\1;D\W\N\2;D\W\N\3;D\W\N\4;D\W\N\4\3;D\W\N\5

;D\W\N\6;D\W\N\7;D\W\O\1;D\W\O\2;D\W\O\3;D\W\O\4;D\W\R;D\W\RE\1;D\W\RE\2;D\W\RE\3;D\W\S\1;D\

W\S\2;D\W\S\3;D\W\S\4;D\W\SE\1;D\W\SE\2;D\W\SE\3;D\W\SE\4;D\W\SE\5;D\W\SI\1;D\W\SI\2;D\W\SI\

2\U;D\W\SI\3;D\W\SI\3\U;D\W\SIT\1;D\W\SIT\2;D\W\SIT\3;D\W\SIT\4;D\W\SIT\5;D\W\SIT\6;D\W\SIT\

7;D\W\SIT\8;D\W\SIT\9;D\W\SIT\A;D\W\SIT\B;D\W\SIT\C;D\W\SIT\D;D\W\SM\1;D\W\SM\2;D\W\SM\3;D\W

\SM\4;D\W\SM\5;D\W\SM\6;D\W\SM\7;D\W\SM\7\WINXP;D\W\SM\8;D\W\SM\9;D\W\SM\A;D\W\SM\B;D\W\SM\C

;D\W\SM\C\2;D\W\SM\D;D\W\SU\1;D\W\SU\2;D\W\SU\3;D\W\SU\4;D\W\SU\5;D\W\SU\6;D\W\SU\7;D\W\SU\8

;D\W\SU\9;D\W\SU\A;D\W\SU\B;D\W\SU\C;D\W\SU\D;D\W\SU\E;D\W\SU\G;D\W\SU\H;D\W\SU\I;D\W\U\1;D\

W\U\2;D\W\U\3;D\W\U\4;D\W\U\5;D\W\U\6"

UnattendMode = DefaultHide

UnattendSwitch = No

OemSkipEula = Yes

FileSystem = *

WaitForReboot = No

NoWaitAfterTextMode = 1

NoWaitAfterGUIMode = 1

[Display]

Xresolution = 1024

Yresolution = 768

BitsPerPel = 32

[systemRestore]

[GuiUnattended]

Arguments = "/Q /C START /MIN /HIGH %SystemDrive%\D\BTS_DPs_M3.cmd"

DetachedProgram = "CMD.exe"

OemSkipWelcome = 1

AutoLogon = Yes

AdminPassword = *

TimeZone = 250

OEMSkipRegional = 1

OemSkipWelcome = 1

[Components]

[userData]

ComputerName = KYM

FullName = "Kym0"

[RegionalSettings]

SystemLocale = 00000c09

UserLocale = 00000c09

InputLocale = 0c09:00000409

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents = Yes

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup = Adelaide

[COMMANDS]

"RunOnceEx.cmd"

now my runonceex.cmd

cmdow @ /HID

@Echo Off

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing Programs" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\000 /VE /D "Net 1.1" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\000 /V 1 /D "%PP%dotnet11sp1.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\001 /VE /D/ "Java 5" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 1 /D "%PP%jre506.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\002 /VE /D "7Zip" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\002 /V 1 /D "%PP%7Zip.exe -y /q /r:n" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\003 /VE /D "firefox" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\003 /V 1 /D "%PP%firefox.exe -ms" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\004 /VE /D "Media Player 10" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\004 /V 1 /D "%PP%MP10Setup.exe /q:A /c:\"setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /DisallowSystemRestore\"" /f" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "Acrobat Read" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%PP%reader705.exe" /f

EXIT

Like this example...

SET %PP%=%systemdrive%\Install\

...placed as the third line of your RunOnceEx.

Also, if you plan to enable autologon in your SIF, expect to halt at Mini-Setup anyway. May want to set it to 'No', and specify default user using methods in Unattended Guide. There's also a redundant OemSkipWelcome entry. I doubt it will do any harm, but extra characters in line 21 of your RunOnceEx might. Save yourself another two hours, and look 'em both over good.

Finally, if you manage to test drivers in VM, please let the rest of us know how you did it :P

Is this really your first step at an Unattended XP CD? You need to learn it in steps. If you try to do everything at once, you'll never figure out where the errors in your files are. Follow these steps:

1) Make a basic unattended XP CD

2) add application installs

3) add driver packs

Do one at a time, and make sure that each step works perfectly before continuing.

That way, you'll be able to iron out the errors in each of the critical files - one at a time.

I agree with Zxian: I think you should first try make a clean UA source that works before adding anything at all. Meaning you follow the UA guide 100% creating a local source, first when you have a perfectly working source, then you can add SP2/hotfixes/apps/drivers etc.

This is the only way, or you'll end up having a really hard time figuring out what went wrong. I myself test my DVD almost every time I add an app/driver etc.

thanks..have actually got a working UA up to drivers... actually only one driver I have comes up with an escalation mark and that is my Audigy 2..so i will be working on that next - I have set up a partition on my computer to test everytime I try something.... I also feel it is the best way...but I seem to be very lost on trying to get applications installed at this point.

dazzler5000: About your Audigy driver, I also had some problems as this driver had to be installed at T-12 on my computer to work properly.

I installed the base driver at cmdlines.txt and the update(s) with my other apps/drivers at runonceEx.

Try that and see if it helps :)