Command Line FTP Program

Swimming_Bird

Windows has an FTP command line utility built in.

i played around with it i didnt like it much

and chances are there are plenty of 3rd party ones that have a lot more features.

What exactly would you like to do with it? I've never run across anything that I couldn't do with it. You can even pass a script with commands to it for auto downloading stuff on a schedule.

What exactly would you like to do with it? I've never run across anything that I couldn't do with it. You can even pass a script with commands to it for auto downloading stuff on a schedule.

Just curious: is it possible to write a script that compares the folder on local computer with one on the host computer (ftp, including a few subfolders) and then delete the files that are not present or newer on local computer installing new versions on the host? In other words - synchronize two sites?

Edited by Oleg_II

and chances are there are plenty of 3rd party ones that have a lot more features.

how exactly i havnt been able to do anything via the command line and the help command is useless

been awhile i do believe the pro version or site version of "bullet proof FTP" has a set of commands / scripting language for websites / ftp programs etc....

windows has built in sync "keep local and website as single copy" * scratchs chin, *only used windows built in maybe once*

how exactly i havnt been able to do anything via the command line and the help command is useless

Basically you put your commands in a text file. For instance, below is the content of a cescript.txt that I use for SAV updates:

open ftp.symantec.com
anonymous
savce@update.com
cd AVDEFS/norton_antivirus/static
lcd C:\Scripts\savce
bin
hash
prompt
get navup8.exe
quit

Then you start the FTP with a -s command like so:

ftp -s:cescript.txt

Just curious: is it possible to write a script that compares the folder on local computer with one on the host computer (ftp, including a few subfolders) and then delete the files that are not present or newer on local computer installing new versions on the host? In other words - synchronize two sites?

There are programs that are designed specifically for this. I believe FTP Voyager has a function for this...it's not CMD based though.

• 2 months later...