[Help] - Installing SP2

ANDYSUDS

The kids have a compaq pressario pc(amd 64 3200+)the hard drive gave up the ghost so i installed another and put in the recovery disc i made just after i bought it new.the prob is that the machine downloads and installs all the updates fine but when i try sp2 the machine freezes resulting in the recovery cd having to be reinstalled, any ideas folks

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

the cd was made with the option you get to make one after you uppack and set up the machine for the first time,as for network sp2 i am not quite sure about this.i have a sp2 installation disc from microsoft but it does the same

You could have had spyware on your machine prior to the SP2 install. I think that is your problem. A lot of my friends got f**ked when SP2 was released the first time because their machines were alread y playing hosts to malicious software. SP2 is a total recompile of key internal components that prevent buffer overflow attacks. Note how after the update every bug fix is non buffer overflow related. So maybe a fresh reformat would do the trick. Reformat and then update. Then install other software.