motherboad not working with ide cable plugged in?

Stead

hi, i've had a problem recently with my dvd drive, for some reason one day the computer wouldn't start until i unplugged it, after buying a new drive assumed it was dead, after all i had it a while, a few days later i had the same problem again, now i've had this computer 2 months, the only thing i can think of is maybe something is behind the board on the ide connector to short it out? its whe the cable is plugged in, regardless of a drive being plugged into the cable or not, and i've tried with 2 ide cables incase the cable had gone.

all i can think of is to check behind it, anyone else had a similuar problem?

doesn't turn on at all, all the fans power up, but nothing happens, going to email gigabyte on this one i think!

Try taking it out of the case, put it on its static bag, connect all the conectors, and turn it on.

I just had this problem, and what was happening was the bottom screws on my Big Typhoon heatsink were actually coming into contact with the case. When I put it on the static bag, it fired right up.

It was then I noticed the scratches on the case from the screws.

At least this way, you can rule out a grounding problem if it boots consistently.

What happens when you take out all the memory? When you boot, it should start whining. If not, try clearnig the CMOS. Make sure the CPU is in, fastened, and not overheating.