[Question] - Remove a OS from dual boot

Fr33m4n

My sister got a new HDD for christmas which she is going to use as her primary HDD with OS and everything effectivly replacing the one she previously had. The new HDD is a 7200.8 Barracuda 250 GB SATA drive while her old one is a 30 GB Maxtor PATA drive. To not loose any data and to avoid having to do a lot of backups she simply put the old maxtor as slave, inserted the new seagate as CS, used F8 to boot from the cd rom drive and install windows. Problem is that now when the computer boots it asks her to select which OS to boot from. Both are win xp pro. How can I remove that step so that the computer will only recognize the new version of windows that we installed? I would also like to change the drive letters around so that the seagate can be C: . At the moment that is impossible cause the old maxtor is rated as system and admin tools wont let me touch it. I'd appriciate any input. thx in advance.

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

thx, that took care of half the problem but I still can't change the drive letters because c: is boot volume and e: is system. So I'm thinking I eather have to do this from dos or maybe safe mode will allow me to?

you must disconnect old disk, and reformat/reinstall windows xp on new disk, like this the new system is on C:\ ... when you reconnect old disk, primary system keep C: letter and no problem with multi boot because old disk will become a second disk , and new system will not if a system is already present on old disk ... (hum, sorry for text precision, fast reply hope you can find a good solution for you)

Hope this helps

;)

Changing most drive-letter assignments is easy, but--- as you've discovered--- changing the *boot* drive letter is a bit harder.

But it can be done. The official how-to from Microsoft is "How to restore the system/boot drive letter in Windows," at

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;Q223188

The simpler and more general procedure (for non-boot drives) is "How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP," at

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...;307844&sd=tech