WinXP Refresh Rate def. 60hz

blonde_ginger

I am using PRO, and I cannot seem to change my monitor from "Default Monitor" to anything else. Under display properties -> advanced -> monitor tab the button to change it is greyed out.

This means that I can only display in 60hz. Cannot find my monitor under device manager so cannot seem to change it. any advise?!

It is definatly not in device manager. I have no disks for the monitor but I had this problem in 98 all i did was change it from "Default Monitor" to "Plug and Ply" monitor.

There is no option under display prefs to change the monitor as there usually is and the only referesh rate is 60hz.

I know it does more.

Ok go to your monitors website and get the drivers. Then right click on desktop/properties/settings/advanced/monitor/properties/driver/update driver and choose the path that the driver was saved. Another thing try changing your video drivers from the default to a new one. This helps with the refreash rate.

-XPerties

Thats very strange....if i were you i would do a few things. Try to start up in safe mode and see what the moniter props is grayed...if thats the case i would uninstall you vid card and let windows get itself..that may enable you to change you moniter..and then you can update your drivers

But i have never seen this before...good good luck

-drew

Hi blonde_ginger.

I noticed in your .jpg that Monitors is not listed under Modems in your Device Manager.

Try this.

Start

Control Panel

Printers and Other Hardware

Upper left of screen - Add Hardware

The Add Hardware Wizard will start.

Next

The wizard will search for any plug and play hardware.

It may ask if hardware is connected.

Click Yes and Next.

Installed hardware list will appear.

Scroll down it and look to see if your Monitor is listed.

If it is listed, select it and click Next.

If it is not listed, go to bottom of list and select - Add A New Hardware Device - click Next.

Choose if you want Windows to automatically search or if you want to install manually.

In either case you may need the software driver for your monitor which you can get from your monitor manufacturer's website if you don't have the CD that may have come with the monitor.

Follow the instructions the wizard gives you.

Windows may have drivers for your monitor if you choose the - Search for and install the hardware automatically.

Otherwise choose - Have Disk - and direct Windows to the folder on your hard drive where you downloaded the monitor drivers.

Or perhaps your monitor came with a CD so you would use that.

Take care,

Callisto

thanks for your replies, unfortunatly none of them have worked. The only one I haven't tried is the reseting and starting in safe mode. well done that man I never thought of that one. :)

and to XPerties... **** it i have only just bought a geforce 2 gts. I aint about 2 fork out anymore.

The thing that is winding me up is that it works fine in this res at 72hz fine in 2000 and 98.

god **** you M$ (...well I have to blame some1!)

cheers

and to XPerties... **** it i have only just bought a geforce 2 gts. I aint about 2 fork out anymore. [/quote:62b51407d8]

Hello [b:62b51407d8]blonde_ginger[/b:62b51407d8] !!!! I said the drivers not the card....If you have no idea what Im talking about then you should maybe ask, You obvisouly havent tried that yet. You can get all the newiest drivers for you card here.By upgrading your drivers to the lastest ones it gives you other options that XP drivers dont. This might help you with the refreash rate.

http://www.guru3d.com/files/

-XPerties

sorry XPerties, I miss read your msg. I dont think however that slagging me off was the next course of action though. I have been building and fixing computers since I was 11 for people I dont know. I am not a creatin, nor a computer newbie.

Just to hit this home I have detonator drivers 21.83 and before I posted the first msg I tried downgrading the detonators to no avail, then tried the drivers supplied by the manufacturer. again no result. It is VERY unlikely that this is a problem with the graphics card as I cannot even find any drivers for the monitor to upgrade or disable or delete. Plus it has worked with 2000 and 98se many many times b4.

I dont think however that slagging me off was the next course of action though...............I am not a creatin, nor a computer newbie[/quote:c4dbe3ffca]

Not sure what you mean by this but if youve been around computers since you were 11 then you should know that the refreash rate does tie into the vid card. Now it simply doesnt make sence that you can not access your monitor to update the drivers. It seems like you have stated you tried everything that has been posted above. Have you tried to install the monitor using " New Hardware" But instead of choosing "Its connected" choose New and pick it from the list while having the Monitors drivers on a 3.5 floppy.You also stated that you can not find drivers for your monitor, How about posted the exzact model and make.

-XPerties

Guest LouCypher

If he's like me then his manufacturer won't have any drivers for his monitor. I have a Hewlett Packard Monitor A4575A, which isn't even listed on HP's site. Fortunately it's detected as a PnP monitor, and works up to 2048x1536 w/o problems. Right now it's running 1280x1024x32bpp@85Hz :)