[Question] - Unattended WindowsXP Install on Dells

Pineapple

Hey,

I operate a computer repair shop.. The vast majority of repairs we get are simply PC's that have been really messed up from spyware/viruses. In really bad off cases we simply reformat the computer, reinstall windows, drivers, etc... and call it a day. I'm trying to streamline this process a little bit by making an unattended cd.

I want to write a script which reads info from the registry, prior to reformatting the drive, and builds a Winnt.sif file to be used during the fresh installation. This would save me the hassle of having to enter in ProductKey, Computer Name, Workgroup Name, Time Zone.. things like that. I've been doing a bunch of reading on how to read from the registry and I found a couple of good scripts in these forums. Specifically: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...533;entry442597

My question is with the ProductKey though. When I read the product key from a run of the mill Dell Dimension, the product key derived from the registry isn't what's on the side of the case... I've tested this on multiple machines and it seems like this applies to all Dell's. My best geuss is that dell uses a different product key than what is on the side of the case for one reason or another (maybe to avoid activation??). Either way, would it be okay to use this ProductKey in the fresh install? I'm going to be using my own OEM cd, not the ones from Dell since each PC we get in is different and most of the time the customer lost the cd a long time ago. I'm thinking this would give me trouble when I go to activate, but I may be able to back up the WPA.DBL file?

I'm just trying to figure out the best way of going about this. Thanks for any help you can give

-Dan

Using the winnt.sif file to automatically enter information such as time zone, etc. is a good idea. I think the reason why the product key in the registry is not the same is because when the product key on the side of the case is activated, a new product key is assigned to the computer. I think your best bet is making a script that backs up the WPA.DBL file.

I think your best bet is making a script that backs up the WPA.DBL file.

If I backup WPA.DBL, will it still prompt me for a Product Key when I install? I've noticed a lot of Winnt.sif's simply have ProductKey=" " or ProductKey="XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX.....", does this tell Windows Setup just to ignore the product key and grab it from the WPA.DBL file or is this just so people don't steal their keys when they post their Winnt.sif?

The key in registry is a key doesn't require any activation if CD contains OEM's bios files (so, you must have dell OEM windows and you must have dell materials too).

Key on the sticker is an original key which works on regular windows xp cd but to activate it you must phone to microsoft.

The WPA.DBL method is completely obsolete since service pack 1.

My solution (I work too in computer shop in france ...) : Create a multi boot cd with windows home & professional regular with all informations generic (same User name & same settings) and I have blanked ProductKey, I enter the key when is needed and I activate later (or the final client activate itself, it's not hard to do ^^). The bad/fun part is for drivers & softs !

My question is with the ProductKey though. When I read the product key from a run of the mill Dell Dimension, the product key derived from the registry isn't what's on the side of the case... I've tested this on multiple machines and it seems like this applies to all Dell's. My best geuss is that dell uses a different product key than what is on the side of the case for one reason or another (maybe to avoid activation??).

Since Dell computers don't have to be activated they use a factory key that cannot be activated on all their PCs. I'm not going to explain the rationale behind using the same key on all machines.

Either way, would it be okay to use this ProductKey in the fresh install? I'm going to be using my own OEM cd, not the ones from Dell since each PC we get in is different and most of the time the customer lost the cd a long time ago. I'm thinking this would give me trouble when I go to activate, but I may be able to back up the WPA.DBL file?

If you are using your own (hologrammed) CD you cannot use the Dell factory key because it cannot be activated. If you use the COA key you will have to activate over the phone. Dell reinstallation CDs are only limited to Dell computers, they are not model specific. You can make your own "Dell" CD by adding the Dell oembios files.

sonic hit it on the head here.

the key that you find is an OEM key, this is because companies like Dell, Gateway, and so on buy bulk amounts of licenses from microsoft, and insted of burning each CD with a diffrent key.. they just burn the same image to X amount of CD's.. then they slap on the actual key that they bought from microsoft on the side of the computer case..

The key on the side of the computer is unique... It is to me a mix of a retail and OEM key.. for example... if i use a retail CD and try to install windows xp with my side sticker key.. it WILL NOT get past the GUI Setup process... but modifying the setupp.ini file correctly will allow me to complete installation.. however windows would then have to be activated within 30 days.. so you would have to call up microsoft and have them validate the key on the side.

Hey thanks a lot for all of your help guys! I think I understand this mess now, I just hate calling Microsoft everytime. I always have to end up talking to a live person no matter what I punch in during the automated portion!!!

Sonic had mentioned drivers, and that's actually the next thing I'm looking to tackle. I know dell puts all theirs drivers right up on their FTP site, and of course you can go through and download them all from their website, the only thing is, they are all in self extracting EXE's, so there's no way Windows Setup will see them properly. Has someone already extracted these and made a disk of Dell drivers from which Windows Setup can reference?