[Question] - Time restrictions in Windows XP

harunaksoy

These restrictions are also available in Windows XP, but can only be set through the command line.
NET USER username /times:...

Does that work in XP Home too, or just Professional?

(Never installed XP Home in my life)

Edit:

Also, the feature is not exactly the same - the method in XP prevents users logging on outside of the specified hours, but does not kick them off if they are already logged on when the time expires.

Vista forces a desktop lock when the time period expires so the user has to authenticate to get back into their session, so it checks the time and refuses to unlock.

Edited by Mr Snrub

There's a policy in Secpol.msc: Local Policies > Security Options > Network Security > Force logoff when logon hours expire

I don't know what or where exactly this will be applicable (domain?), as there's no explanation. But then "Local" would imply local computer, wouldn't it?

There's a policy in Secpol.msc: Local Policies > Security Options > Network Security > Force logoff when logon hours expire

I don't know what or where exactly this will be applicable (domain?), as there's no explanation. But then "Local" would imply local computer, wouldn't it?

For a workgroup XP client this defaults to disabled, I set up a repro in Virtual PC and turned this on, and had a test user account with a 1-hour logon window.

I rebooted the client to be certain the policy change had taken effect, set the clock back to 5 minutes before the end of the logon window and logged the test user in.

Logon expiration time came and went, user was not logged off and was able to continue working and launching new apps.

Lock the workstation or log off the user and the user then cannot re-authenticate, but nothing occurred automatically.

I think the key is Network Security, implying not a local logon session setting.