Did I forget something?

Flame12121

1. HFSLIP won't be able to make the ISO because you don't have mkisofs or the cdimage program. The instructions are on the same page listed above.

2. Why not try a simple version of slipstreaming (hotfixes only) and once that is done, then do your unattended programs.

3. Verify your hotfix list, you have un-needed files there. Garbage in=garbage out. Tomcat and Bilou have lists for XP. See the stickies.

4. Can you make a bootable ISO using your source folder? If your source isn't bootable, then the slipstreamed one won't be bootable either. Garbage in=garbage out.

5. Instead of "systematically started removing elements " of your source folder, why not copy the contents of your original XP cd? HFSLIP is expecting an unadulterated installation source to work properly.

In regards to 1, already done, I just haven't posted a new file list (wasn't aware anyone had looked at it recently, if you desire, I'll post another). The iso is being created, it just suffers the same problem that Nero had.

2-5

Sorry, I seem to have miscommunicated. Before every trial I have been copying the files off the original CD once more. In this case, I meant removing the files in HF, HFEXPERT, HFSVPK etc leaving them empty. The only directory with any contents at this point is the completely untouched XP disc copy in SOURCE, and the HFTOOLS directory, containing everything it contained before, and the mkisofs program.

Hope that explains the current situation a little better, and on a somewhat related note, I'm begining to wonder if there is something wrong with the CD drive I was using to copy the CD, it's a Plextor PX712SA, and they seem to have a reputation for bad reads, I'm repeating the previously mentioned experement with another drive now.

~ Flame12121

*Followup: The other drive didn't seem to improve matters*

Edited by Flame12121

Try this, open a dos window and CD to the working directory of HFSLIP. I'm not sure if your familar or not with command prompts, but click start/run and type in CMD. Type in CD.. a few times so the prompt says C:>. Once it says C:> type in "cd xp" (no quotations). then type in "cd hfslip". The prompt should say c:\xp\hfslip at this point. Then type in the following exactly.

copy hftools\boot.bin source
HFTOOLS\mkisofs.EXE -relaxed-filenames -d -D -N -J -b boot.bin -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -o MYISO SOURCE

If you get an error about boot.bin not being there, then you need a boot.bin file. The second command will make a bootable iso. If it doesn't, then report back and post your new error_report.txt file.

If you want to speed things up, and if you are only using this CD to make clean installations, you can safely delete the contents of some folders. Check out unattended.msfn.org for details.

You might also want to try a checkdisk. Some time ago, Windows 2000 refused to reboot after pressing the OK button at the end of installation; it turned out the hard drive I was using to HFSLIP a Win2K source had a few bad sectors, in which one or more files from the SOURCE folder existed. Running checkdisk, removing the SOURCE folder and starting from scratch again fixed the problem.

chkdsk c: /r

You'll be asked if you want to do this at the next reboot. Type "y", press Enter, and reboot.

tommyp:

Following your directions, I was able to turn my unaltered direct copy from CD to SOURCE XP-SP1 cd into a functioning iso, and have done a complete install on the virtual machine using that ISO, so the SOURCE directory, unpatched, seems to be fine. I ran HFSLIP on it (still with nothing in any of the other directories other than HFTOOLS,) and it gives me the "Setup cannot access the CD containing the Windows XP installation file" error again.

~ Flame12121

ERROR_REPORT.TXT

Flame12121 :hello:

First question: have you compared the quantity of files in I386 on CD and on hard drive by right click as I described?

What folders do you have inside HFSLIP folder? Is there HFCLEANUP folder?

Find in SOURCESS (resulting) folder the following files: LAYOUT.INF, SYSOC.INF, SYSSETUP.INF and TXTSETUP.SIF. open them with any archivator like WinRar or WinZip. Any empy files among them?

Edited by Oleg_II

Flame12121 :hello:

First question: have you compared the quantity of files in I386 on CD and on hard drive by right click as I described?

Yes, I've doublechecked, it's a complete disc copy.

What folders do you have inside HFSLIP folder? Is there HFCLEANUP folder?

The HFSLIP directory contains:

• FDVFILES (empty)
  • FIX (empty)
  • HF (empty)
  • HFCABS (empty)
  • HFSLIP_51218.CMD
  • HFSVPK (empty)
  • HFSVPK_SW (empty)
  • HFTOOLS
    • boot.bin
    • cygwin1.dll
    • mkisofs.exe
    • modifyPE.exe
    • MSICabExtract.exe
    • MSICabExtract.txt

[*]SOURCE

[*]SP1.iso - this is the ISO created directly from the SOURCE directory, it does function.

Find in SOURCESS (resulting) folder the following files: LAYOUT.INF, SYSOC.INF, SYSSETUP.INF and TXTSETUP.SIF. open them with any archivator like WinRar or WinZip. Any empy files among them?

LAYOUT.inf is present and has contents

SYSOC.IN_ exists, and contains SYSOC.INF

SYSSETUP.IN_ exists and contains SYSSETUP.INF

TXTSETUP.SIF is present and has a filesize of 444kb

Can you open these files? Are they all readable?

I noticed that in your messages here that you mention SP1. Are you working with XPSP1 or XPSP2 in the source folder? Also, what operating system are you using to run HFSLIP? In other words, not the source OS, but the machine you are presently using.

Can you open these files? Are they all readable?

They all appear to contain valid INI formatted INF commands, starting with the normal [Version] section.

How much free hard drive space do you have? Is the drive error-free? HFSLIP needs some space when running.

I have 11 GB free, and while I have yet to run a recent scandisk, the last one was only 6 months ago and showed no problems. I will do another and post an update.

Update: Well I ran it, and to my knowledge it didn't find anything, I wasn't watching it as it worked and I can't find the log it usually makes if it found a problem.

I noticed that in your messages here that you mention SP1. Are you working with XPSP1 or XPSP2 in the source folder? Also, what operating system are you using to run HFSLIP? In other words, not the source OS, but the machine you are presently using.

Yes, I've been trying to emphasise that this is SP1 in case it mattered. SP1 is currently in the source folder, as I wanted to be sure it was OK before I made any changes to it. I'm running HFSLIP on a machine running XPSP2 - fully patched.

Edited by Flame12121

Dumb question, but do you want to make an XPSP2 slipstream/hfslip? If you want SP2, you need to manually slipstream it. FDV's site has info on how to do it. Once you manually slipsteam sp2 into the source folder, make another ISO and test it to see if your SP2 source is OK. Once that is done, then proceed to filling the HF folder with the patches for SP2. If on the other hand you need a fully patched SP1 (i.e. no SP2), then make sure you use only fixes for SP1. If you use a hotfix designed for SP2 and you are working with SP1, then you'll have junk in the sourcess.

tommyp:

Yes, I intend on making a SP2 disk, but since I've been having problems, I took the same approach I usually take to programming, reduce the problem to the simplest case that still demonstrates the error. I currently have an XP-SP1 disk. As the source is unchanged and the only other directory with any contents is HFTOOLS, it was my understanding that running HFSLIP on it would do nothing, and the SOURCESS directory would contain effectively the exact same copy of the XP-SP1. While the ISO made from the SOURCE directory does work however, the ISO from the SOURCESS directory does not, which leads me to believe something changed, I just don't know/understand what or why.

Well, I can't think of anything else that could influence HFSLIP running :blink: If you can make an ISO from the files you just copy to the hard disk everything should be OK. Your installation files also seems to be OK.

What I'd do in this situation? It maybe not clever but I'd delete previous HFSLIP folder (leave only HFTOOLS contents) and started from a scratch :) Creat a folder place the latest HFSLIP*.CMD, run for the first time, copy I386 and markup files from the disk to SOURCE folder and try again. If it doesn' work try to create ISO from SOURCE again. If it works but doesn't only work with HFSLIP, try integrate SP2 and do the same process again.

A long way but something is going wrong. You have an original CD with XP or it is some kind of OEM?