DirectX 9.0 December UPDATE ?

ggg

okay, no photoshop necessary.

BDANT.cab - same file contents in both old and new.

dxnt.cab - same file contents in both old and new.

New DX9 Redistributable

the notes do NOT include windows 2000, but the INF installer has a win2000 section. the "new" dxsetup.exe also runs fine on win2k.

WOW... Tomcat76, yeah, this is a MESS. Wow.

but what about the October update, xinput9_1_0.dll?

this is in the december redistributable.

so, you guys are saying that this really is necessary for some games? the release notes make it sound like very little is to be gained anyway...

Edited by fdv

the "new" dxsetup.exe also runs fine on win2k.
The old one didn't run on 2K? I could've sworn it did...
but what about the October update, xinput9_1_0.dll?

this is in the december redistributable.

Yeah, I know. I wanted to know from "the guys who want the new stuff in" if this file should be included as well.

I read only about these DLLs:

d3dx9_24.zip

d3dx9_25.zip

d3dx9_26.zip

d3dx9_27.zip

And it's obviously one new - d3dx9_28.zip

Just one example (I saw a few more):

Battlefield 2 has known directX problems. If anyone gets error messages, with d3dx9_25.dll download the following files.

d3dx9_24.zip

d3dx9d_25.zip

Extract BOTH files into your battlefield 2\ folder or in your windows\system32 folder. It should work then.

Tomcat76

These files are not critical and can be HFSLIPed using HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32 folder without registering.

But if registering there should be some more lines of the code :whistle:

Edited by Oleg_II

So is the answer to just put those 5 dx dlls in the sys32 folder and that's it? No registration is required? (Hint search the registry for the dll name, if you see it, then it's registered). Are all 5 dlls needed for the 4 types of OS installations I asked about in my previous post?

Edited by tommyp

I'm trying to download the new installer.

But from what I found on www.toymaker.info DLLs are not registered. This makes possible to use HFEXPERT folder only.

By the way I found a posting on one forum that some of them may be useful for playing media files with MPC (?).

Edited by Oleg_II

Are all 5 dlls needed for the 4 types of OS installations I asked about in my previous post?
I'd think so. For 2K, they are not in the two cabs we are including with HFSLIP, and SP2 for WinXP was released before these updates even existed.

The new HFSLIP slipstreams these worthless binaries. Read FDV's site for details. If sometime down the road from now MSFT releases another SDK with additional worthless bloat, just throw the cab files in HFCABS and HFSLIP will take care of it for you.

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed on Tomcat's Win2k page, he says that the "[date]_d3dx9_[number]_x86.cab" files are optional.

On Tomcat's WinXP page, the "[date]_d3dx9_[number]_x86.cab" files are required.

What's the difference? Why are they optional in Win2k but not required in WinXP.

Both TommyP and FDV said that they're worthless bloat, just wondering what these files contain and why they are required for XP but not Win2k.

I noticed on Tomcat's Win2k page, he says that the "[date]_d3dx9_[number]_x86.cab" files are optional.

On Tomcat's WinXP page, the "[date]_d3dx9_[number]_x86.cab" files are required.

What's the difference? Why are they optional in Win2k but not required in WinXP.

The new DX9 files are optional. What I mean with "required" and "optional" on my pages is that, if you WANT to include a specific update, these files HAVE to be used.

For WinXP SP2, which comes with the basic DX9 files, the updates are optional. But if you WANT to include the updates, the "[date]_d3dx9_[number]_x86.cab" files MUST be in the HFCABS folder. See the nuance?

Win2K contains neither the basic DX9 files nor the updates. If people WANT to integrate DX9, BDANT.cab and dxnt.cab are REQUIRED but the 5 new files are OPTIONAL.

It's a completely different meaning.

I'll update the Win2K page to separate the basic DX9 files from the 5 new files to make things clearer.

EDIT: Done. Is it any clearer now?

Edited by Tomcat76

I understand now but I think even on XP page you can say these updates are optional and only needed for certain games, as Oleg mentioned.

This way, if you're doing a business build of XP, you can ignore those CABs but if you're building a gaming rig, you might put them in.

With the edit, I moved the general HFSLIP instructions to the top and put the "All updates are optional" line in bold and "New DX9 gaming binaries" should be pretty clear too.

I don't know what more I can change. Put the word "optional" at the end of every single update?

Should I change every instance of "Required files:" into "Required files if you want to include this component:"? I can't change it into "Optional files:" because *that* would be incorrect....