How do I get rid of the Sasser virus?

I've tried running a program from the McAfee website to debug it but with no luck. Anything else I can use to get rid of it?

I have Windows XP Home Edition. Thank you very much.

Edited by MrMister

Hasn't the sasser vulnerability been plugged several times over? Windows XP SP2 should have fixed that, I believe. If you do have the virus, the shutdown dialog should count down stating that some illegal procedure closed lsass.exe and gives you 60 seconds before rebooting. Go to start --> run --> type "shutdown -a" to abort the shutdown and then I recommend running the previously recommended removal tools, Ad-aware SE, and Spybot. I still find that strange though...

Yes, that's exactly what happens. But the 3 programs I've run so far to debug it all said my computer doesn't have the Sasser virus. So maybe it is something else. Can somebody tell me of a program I can run to determine which virus I have?

*Apologizes for my computer illeteracy* :blushing:

At least you are honest, Just download a free antivirus, I suggest AVG, ans scan your computer. You should to avoid this int he future patch your windows ( updates) and get a firewall to protect you from the net, and stop using Internet explorer and use firefox or opera.

If you cant install avg for some reasons, download Antivir, then reboot and choose safe mode, unzip antivir and scan your computer, Antivir is one of the few anti-virus that can run in safe mode. (safe mode allow you to bypass many trojans and virus, it give you a more basic windows.)

PS: if you want to have more help you should post according to the rules of this forum.

Edited by albator

At least you are honest, Just download a free antivirus, I suggest AVG, ans scan your computer.

Can somebody please give me a link to a free anti-virus program that you'd recommend?

What does "AVG" and "ans scan" mean?

PS: if you want to have more help you should post according to the rules of this forum.

What are the rules? Kind of a newbie around here. :unsure:

Thanks for the help!

Edited by MrMister

At least you are honest, Just download a free antivirus, I suggest AVG, ans scan your computer.

Can somebody please give me a link to a free anti-virus program that you'd recommend?

What does "AVG" and "ans scan" mean?

What are the rules? Kind of a newbie around here. :unsure:

Thanks for the help!

I use an online virus scanner -- http://www.trendmicro.com/hc_intro/default.asp

Its not let me down yet!