[Request] Close mshta.exe during installation

Just a suggestion.

Would it be possible to have WPI-W create batch files that add the registry values for RunOnceEx (Application Installer) then mshta.exe doesn’t have to be running in the background watching the registry until it needs to add the next batch of RunOnceEx commands

Here’s what I’d like to see WPI-W create before closing to begin installation

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\00

REG ADD %RUNONCEEX% /V TITLE /D "Installing Applications" /f

REG ADD %KEY%02 /VE /D "NOD32 AntiVirus v2.50.25" /f
REG ADD %KEY%02 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\APPS\NOD32\2.50.25\NT\setup.exe /silentmode /settings=%CDROM%\APPS\NOD32\2.50.25\NT\ClientSetup.xml" /f
/cfg=%CDROM%\APPS\NOD32\2.12.3\ClientConfig.xml

REG ADD %KEY%05 /VE /D "Adobe Reader v7" /f
REG ADD %KEY%05 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\APPS\Adobe\acroread705.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%06 /VE /D "Windows Journal Viewer" /f
REG ADD %KEY%06 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\APPS\JournalViewer\JournalViewer.exe -y" /f

REG ADD %KEY%16 /VE /D "Firefox v1" /f
REG ADD %KEY%16 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\APPS\FireFox\Firefox_Setup_v1.0.7.exe -y" /f
REG ADD %KEY%16 /V 2 /D "%CDROM%\APPS\FireFox\plugins.bat" /f

REG ADD %KEY%17 /VE /D "Thunderbird v1" /f
REG ADD %KEY%17 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\APPS\Thunderbird\Thunderbird_Setup_v1.0.7.exe -y" /f
REG ADD %KEY%17 /V 2 /D "%CDROM%\APPS\Thunderbird\plugins.bat" /f

REG ADD %KEY%19 /VE /D "Daemon Tools v3.47" /f
REG ADD %KEY%19 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\APPS\DaemonTools\DaemonTool_v3.47.msi /qn REBOOT=Suppress" /f
REG ADD %KEY%19 /V 2 /D "%CDROM%\APPS\DaemonTools\arniWORX_InstallerScript.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%22 /VE /D "Java Runtimes" /f
REG ADD %KEY%22 /V 2 /D "%CDROM%\APPS\Runtimes\Java\MSJavaVM_3810.exe" /f
REG ADD %KEY%22 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\APPS\Runtimes\Java\jre505.exe" /f

REM ---------- Import Next Install Window To Reg --------
REG ADD %KEY%22 /VE /D "Next Install Window" /f
REG ADD %KEY%22 /V 1 /D "%tmp%\page2.bat" /f

This would save on CPU power during the installation... mshta.exe uses 80% of the CPU (Athlon 64 3000+) while installing so the installation takes much longer as there are a lot of SFX on my installation DVD

Edited by codejunkie

well that got it down from 100% on my P3-933 to 50-60% when set to low

is anyone still working on this project as in updating it with new feature? or just correcting problems with the current version?

I sort of expected kelsenellenelvian to have replied to me request... was on when I posted it reading generate.js, problem with detected path

I am still here but as for the killing of mshta during installs that would be nice but the only way I could figure it out would be something like pskill. If I can find another way I would love to do it. As for developement it is still going on just slow as this is the school season and the current version is sooo stable...

I will agree with it being stable but there are a few bugs are there not? IE multi-default section

why would you have to use pskill.exe??

Windows includes taskkill.exe

TASKKILL [/S system [/U username [/P [password]]]]
{ [/FI filter] [/PID processid | /IM imagename] } [/F] [/T]

Description:
This command line tool can be used to end one or more processes.
Processes can be killed by the process id or image name.

Parameter List:
/S system Specifies the remote system to connect to.

/U [domain\]user Specifies the user context under which
the command should execute.

/P [password] Specifies the password for the given
user context. Prompts for input if omitted.

/F Specifies to forcefully terminate
process(es).

/FI filter Displays a set of tasks that match a
given criteria specified by the filter.

/PID process id Specifies the PID of the process that
has to be terminated.

/IM image name Specifies the image name of the process
that has to be terminated. Wildcard '*'
can be used to specify all image names.

/T Tree kill: terminates the specified process
and any child processes which were started by it.

/? Displays this help/usage.

Filters:
Filter Name Valid Operators Valid Value(s)
----------- --------------- --------------
STATUS eq, ne RUNNING | NOT RESPONDING
IMAGENAME eq, ne Image name
PID eq, ne, gt, lt, ge, le PID value
SESSION eq, ne, gt, lt, ge, le Session number.
CPUTIME eq, ne, gt, lt, ge, le CPU time in the format
of hh:mm:ss.
hh - hours,
mm - minutes, ss - seconds
MEMUSAGE eq, ne, gt, lt, ge, le Memory usage in KB
USERNAME eq, ne User name in [domain\]user
format
MODULES eq, ne DLL name
SERVICES eq, ne Service name
WINDOWTITLE eq, ne Window title

NOTE: Wildcard '*' for the /IM switch is accepted only with filters.

NOTE: Termination of remote processes will always be done forcefully
irrespective of whether /F option is specified or not.

Examples:
TASKKILL /S system /F /IM notepad.exe /T
TASKKILL /PID 1230 /PID 1241 /PID 1253 /T
TASKKILL /F /IM notepad.exe /IM mspaint.exe
TASKKILL /F /FI "PID ge 1000" /FI "WINDOWTITLE ne untitle*"
TASKKILL /F /FI "USERNAME eq NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" /IM notepad.exe
TASKKILL /S system /U domain\username /FI "USERNAME ne NT*" /IM *
TASKKILL /S system /U username /P password /FI "IMAGENAME eq note*"

Id love to help but I just don't know JavaScript

• 3 months later...

**** - this is really apita. i just switched from wihu to wpi (because the development of wihu was stopped and i like the dependency options...) but the cpu time is really APITA! i mean - most of the time its just... waiting? i have to wait 14 seconds (AMD64 2.1GHz) after pressing the config button :-(. 2 seconds when going back to the install menu... is there REALLY now chance to uhm - somehow "fix" this? is it just adding the registry entry and then - uhm - idling? anyone knows?

Just look a few topics behind - its a testing version with new setupscreen, but works fine, the only thing is, that working with .msi files isnt worked out ( cause its based on Autoit and this needs a special way to call msi files. Some changes in Config.js and it also works ), heses the link WPI 4,4RC1

good luck - bye

k, thanks - i got it... but it seems the new version makes more troubles than goods! the msi bug hurts... and i fear that fixing here and there makes the whole program more and more unreliable in terms of running on various machines. furthermore im no autoit freak - narf... its really a pain!

maybe there is someone around willing to continue the wihu project... although wpi is quite nice... hah, choices, choices, choices... and lots of waiting :-)

Edited by WotC

I have no problems with 4,4. Ive made of all my msi files self-exetracting rar-temporary files with the option (maybe): start after extraction blabla.msi /qb /norestart or something like that.

But it also works with the prefix (example): msiexec /i ACDSee7.msi /passive in WPI (i think so). this is the method how to open a msi in autoit.

The other problems are solved now, i think. In my DVD it works perfect.

The closing of mshta is connected with opening the ktools.exe before, so you cannot use WPI.exe in 3.8 or lower. It works like this: In WPI you can choose the files to install, after pushing install WPI tranfers to ktool and WPI doesnt need to run anymore. So WPI.exe closes mshta. In 3,8 or lower mshta is needed til WPI finishes.

So you are right - the ktool method needs not as much system-resources than without. ktool is just a little autoit-script that reads the installation from a txt file.

Edited by wixfigura

Am I missing something that you guys aren't? When I watch mshta in the Task Manager while working with WPI, it rarely goes above 15%, usually hangs at 5%, sometimes goes to 23% to 85% when doing a large change, like going to Options. It does use 36MB of RAM, no more than running Explorer for a web site. There is no delay like WotC is having (I also have AMD64). It just reloads the page like hitting refresh in Explorer.

I don't see any difference in using WPI to install everything compared to kTool or RunOnceExe. It is not the program slowing the computer, it is the program being installed. Once the install process is started, the GUI of WPI is idle, 5% CPU.

I somewhat like the idea of mshta closing so the desktop could come up and you could do some work. But your computer is still slow due to the programs being installed. I could just be used to having a fast AMD64 and don't really notice the time for installs. And I do walk away and go about my business on other computers, so I don't really need to do background work.

hmmm, i'll check this during an install. i had the feeling that installation took MUCH longer than when using wihu (with more or less the same programs being installed). when just in "select" mode i also have about 5% cpu usage. however, sa soon as i am in config mode thats 80%. i'll check the % when installing (as soon as i have something to install :-)).

how many apps do u have in ur config file? i have about 120 or so - the loading time increases dramatically with the # of apps